Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A small Prime Rib Roast  (Read 1400 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
A small Prime Rib Roast
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »
I've heard different rules of thumb for buying prime rib roasts. One was never to go below five ribs and another was to never go below three ribs. I was at a local farmers market type store and they had one rib roasts on sale. They were prices reasonably, about the same as a prime rib steak at another store I frequent. I figured the worst case scenario would be to treat this cut of meat like an unusually thick cut steak rather than a roast.

I ended up deciding to do the opposite and prepare it as a very thin standing rib roast instead of as a very thick cut steak:

Seasoned:

On the grill:

Sautéed mushrooms are the second thing to be cooked in this new cast iron frypan:

I removed the roast at 130 degrees and let it coast from there. I left the temperature probe in out of curiosity just to see what the internal temperature rise would look like after being removed from the heat. It actually peaked out at 144 degrees while resting.

The finished meal.  I got three meals out of that single rib roast. This one got dropped off for a friend who's been spending far too much time in the hospital lately. He appreciated it and told me it was delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: A small Prime Rib Roast
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »
Looks awesome! Hope your friend is on recovery road!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:17:36 AM »
Oh man that looks good! Perfect sides to compliment it too

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 06:39:03 AM »
That all looks incredible.  I absolutely love mushrooms as well. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 06:25:23 AM »
Very nice. Hope your friend gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:11:45 AM »
Thanks guys!  That roast turned out nicely and I won't hesitate to buy one of those again.  It certainly made me reconsider adhering to those minimum bone count rules of thumb that are widely repeated all over.  If you keep an eye on the internal temperature continuously with a thermometer in the roast the whole time and pull it off the heat when it's just below medium rare, you'll be fine.  That small roast cooked quickly, just under two hours in the grill, so I'd definitely go with keeping an eye on the thermometer over the traditional X minutes per pound method.

I made the gravy in the aluminum pan after I moved the roast onto that white platter to rest.  I aggressively simmered the gravy a lot harder than I ever have because I was under the gun to get it done, eat, and drop off that plate at the friend's place on the way to work and the clock was ticking.  The gravy reduced beautifully into a nice thick, smooth, rich, dark coloured sauce.  It was the best gravy I've ever made so I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference.  A good gravy on everything can really make a meal great.

The friend is slowly recovering but he needs to take it easy.  He picked up some football injuries over the summer and then compounded them by being a klutz and banging himself up more...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:14:51 AM by Lightning »