Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: One skillet supper  (Read 1237 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
One skillet supper
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
I saw this http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/one-pan-chicken-sausage-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html on Serious Eats and wanted to try it, since I like the components of the dish: chicken thighs, Brussels sprouts, sausage, and shallots.

The changes I made to accommodate my pantry probably caused the cook to not be entirely successful. Not sure, comments on the site raised the same issues that occurred to me. I'll probably try it again with the exact recipe ingredients. There were issues, but it was still tasty food.

I set up by moving my medium vortex to the 26. It works fairly well in the larger kettle, and gives me enough room to put in the 12" skillet and a couple other things.

Sprouts, cut up sausage, and quartered shallots in the bottom of the skillet. Chicken on top. Everything seasoned up. I used Kicken' Chicken, the recipe has a mustard paste. That change didn't cause any issues. What did cause issues is my desire to use up the chorizo that I had in the fridge. The recipe calls for Italian sausage. Changing from Italian sausage to chorizo resulted in a great deal more sausage grease in the skillet, which combined with what rendered from the chicken thighs turned the roast into a braise. Not entirely, I did get some browning of the chicken and the sprouts, but enough of a difference that my family commented that they preferred the usual Vortex method. The chicken had more of a braised texture, like it wanted to fall apart, and the skin wasn't as crisp. The cook took about 45 minutes to get the thighs to 175.

Done.

Plate.

So if/when I cook this again I will not use chorizo, but stick with the Italian sausage. And maybe preheat the cast iron skillet for fifteen or twenty minutes before adding the ingredients.

That's ok, it was still good, and we ate it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: One skillet supper
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 01:26:19 AM »
Looks good from here! That's interesting about the chorizo vs Italian. Have to try it out. Tfs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »
looks really good I like cast iron cooking as well
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 02:58:12 PM »
As far as the difference between the Italian sausage and the Chorizo... I would say that there is not going to be any difference other than the seasoning. In any pork based sausage you're looking at around 25-30% fat. That is common. In Italian style sausage, fennel or anise is the primary seasoning, whereas in chorizo the primary seasoning will be ground pepper. something like paprika, plus chorizo may be dry cured as well.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:48:12 PM »
This chorizo was a fresh Mexican chorizo seasoned with a list of different chiles, not a cured sausage. Different type of product than Italian sausage.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
Yes, Mexican chorizo is a fresh sausage, like Italian style sausage. Spanish or Portuguse style Chorizo is cured,

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 05:06:48 PM »
If it was the plastic tube from Walmart, that is some greasy stuff. Almost a soup. Has to be cut with eggs.

I agree a link shouldn't be much different.
Still need a 22” yellow