Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $75 Ranch Kettle :)...but...  (Read 9281 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
$75 Ranch Kettle :)...but...
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »
So, on Sunday this Ranch Kettle came up on Offer Up for $100 in Tustin, CA.  Advertised as "Giant Grill for Party BBQ"

Here was the description:

Description
Used really big bob grill. Working perfectly fine everything there nothing missing. Monster webber 53 inches

There was one pic:

I thought about it, but wasn't too excited.  Yesterday, they dropped the price to $75 and added these pics:

It looked good enough.  Obviously not perfect and had some problems but $75!  Got in the car at 2pm (Hooray for last hour prep period) and drove to Orange County from Vegas.

Got there...and no one was at the house.  Offer Up guy wouldn't answer phone, or respond to texts.  Finally thought I'd just knock on the door...shout from inside, "WHO IS IT?"

I said I was there about the grill.

This house was foreclosed and this guy who was clearly drunk was being forced out in a week.  The house was filthy.  Went out back, and there was the grill.  He rambled about banks and ex wives screwing him, and I was trying to get out ASAP.  Dumped all the ash, hosed it out.  Had to roll it through the house...fortunately had double doors front and back. 

Hoisted it in the trusty Hyundai Tucson by myself...handed him $75 and got the heck out of there. 

Got home last night at 11:24pm (3 hours 49 minutes--a personal best from OC)

So...here are the problems. 

Charcoal grate was absolutely gone.  You can see the top grate is barely holding together in the middle.

Missing two bottom vents.  One has a big hole.

This top handle...considerable rust below it.  I am hoping I can get this one out. 

Missing top vent. 

So, here are my questions!

Anything I can do to salvage/repair the cooking grate?  Replacement $280...I'll bite the bullet if I have to, but I'd like to avoid this.

Same with the charcoal grate...anything I can use instead down there?  Once again, I'll bite the bullet if I have to...but I'm ok with being creative. 

Removing the crushed handle or unbending it...any ideas for how I could safely do this would be appreciated. 

Filling in that hole on the bottom vent?  I've seen people use large washers before.  Would that work with a new vent?

Lastly, the lid is out of round...it fits, but barely.  Also it has rough, rusty edges on one side.  I don't think I can hug it out, and I want to clean up the edge as best I can.  Any ideas on that?

Here are my plans:

I am obviously going to replace the vents.

Probably going to replace the handles if I can get them off.

I think I am going to repaint the entire lid with high heat black paint...although I've thought a custom color may be nice. 

I'm going to definitely clean and perhaps paint the frame, though it is amazingly solid. 

Overall, I'm excited.  It's not going to be perfect, but I think I can get this back in good working condition and looking much better.  Any help you can offer would be great!  Once it's finished, I'm going to have a mighty party to break her in. 

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: $75 Ranch Kettle :)...but...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »
Excellent!

Id put expanded metal on top of the grates.

I dont know if weber offers the new dampers for it.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:39:53 AM »
It's a bit of a distance, but see if you can partner up with someone and get in on this,

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/5532541704.html

Guy is selling a RK for $600 in St. Louis, comes with an extra lid and extra charcoal grate.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »
Intesting story and even more insteresting restore project.  It looks like this is going to be long term project if you are looking to do it economically.  I can't wait to see how this one turns out!!!! 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »
One thing I was considering was making my own vents using aluminum flashing...

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »
My old ranch has regular vents on the bottom, off a 22...they were there when i got it, big washer will work fine for that one, and i've seen the top vents, and bottom vents on ebay....and for now, expanded metal on the grates would work fine.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 01:42:19 PM »
@crowderjd   hey man congrats,  good fix suggestions already especially the expanded steel to replace the grates.  How was the fit in the Tucson?  With a rubber mallet you can tap that handle back where it belongs.  Weber will have all you need so no worries there.  Great Grab.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
@fedex thanks!  I saw your PM yesterday when I got to the house.  Your pic in the back of your Escape was what inspired me to go for it.  The guy was a real character and I wanted to get out of there ASAP.  I was all ready to take off the wheels, and then I did a quick measurement, and I could get it in with the wheels on.  Loaded it in with about a quarter inch of clearance...placed the lid wedged behind the passenger seat, and away we went.  I now know the Tucson can do it all.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 02:03:59 PM »
Id put expanded metal on top of the grates.

This seem like a grate option haha, and won't break the bank!

Congrats on the pick up!

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 02:22:49 PM »
Sweet score and story!

Will an upside down 22.5 grate work temporarily?
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »
Nice grab. I would just throw some expanded metal on the charcoal grate. Top grate looks totally shot and I don't thinks there's getting around a replacement. I can't wait to see it cleaned up.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »
Man great find, and that price too, even with all the work needed, well worth it!
Your collection has gotten really nice really fast!

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 03:09:56 PM »
@crowderjd, I have a top lid vent you can have for free if you want it? Weber had to replace my lid under the warranty. I took the lid vent off before scrapping the lid, so there's nothing wrong with the vent. Let me know if this helps?

On that out of round lid, try getting a big bar clamp and clamping it tight across the lid in the opposite direction to squeeze it back round. On the charcoal grate, straighten/bend/hammer it back into shape as flat as you can get it and then cut a round piece of expanded metal the exact size of the grate and lay it over the top and secure it around the outer frame edge.

The cooking grate you might have to bite the bullet and get a new one? They are $270 new from Weber. (ouch!)I don't think it can be saved and I don't think I would want to cook my food on expanded metal?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:25:29 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
As other have said. Lower vents can easily be replaced - there is a kit from weber

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »
@crowderjd, I have a top lid vent you can have for free if you want it? Weber had to replace my lid under the warranty. I took the lid vent off before scrapping the lid, so there's nothing wrong with the vent. Let me know if this helps?

On that out of round lid, try getting a big bar clamp and clamping it tight across the lid in the opposite direction to squeeze it back round. On the charcoal grate, straighten/bend/hammer it back into shape as flat as you can get it and then cut a round piece of expanded metal the exact size of the grate and lay it over the top and secure it around the outer frame edge.

The cooking grate you might have to bite the bullet and get a new one? They are $270 new from Weber. (ouch!)I don't think it can be saved and I don't think I would want to cook my food on expanded metal?
Huh ???  .....don't think you would cook your food on expanded metal ????   What do you think majority of stick burner an backyard grill grates are made of ?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Search of Blue or Green MBH