Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning advice  (Read 2491 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Cleaning advice
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »
Before I make the decision to toss this lid, I'd like to clean it up and see if my good ol rubber mallet can take care of the massive dent. The vent and lid are really dirty, the vent is caked with smoke residue; any cleaning advice? I'd like to salvage the whole thing if possible, even the vent cover; it has the date stamp. The handle and thermometer cover I'll replace.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:57:44 AM by Chad A »

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Cleaning advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:04:57 AM »
I've popped a dent just like that right out with a rubber mallet.  I hit mine right in center and it came right out.  As far as cleaning it all up, use 0000 steel wool with soapy water to get the big stuff off initially.  You can use the 0000 steel wool dry too to polish it.  Its safe, I use it on the chrome on my fun car on the weekends.  As far as the damper goes...I use the same steel wool.  Once you get all the smoke crud off...you can polish it with a Mothers Aluminum polish.  I think several guys here use that same polish.  It will take a little elbow grease and time since it so dirty, but be patient.  It should look pretty good when you are done.

BTW...use the same method to polish that aluminum piece that holds the thermometer.
There's nothing you can do with the burnt part of the handle...and the rust around handle...thats a whole nother story.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:07:06 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:44:34 AM »
I use the same process as Jeff. Mothers great. Tad pricey, but does the job. I'm going to add some stuff to the cleaning arsenal.
So on another post here some products, Krud Kutter for cleaning. Brian suggested another aluminum product that looks to be better than Mothers, but i'm having a brain fart and can't remember what it is called.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:09:13 AM »
Thanks Jeff & Greg, I'll give it all a try this weekend. I'm hoping the rust is just surface stuff from the thermometer cover, we'll see. I have a genuine Brian made handle that would look good on it.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:36:06 AM »
I'm not so sure this lid will be worthy of one of Brian's handles!  LOL
Kettle collector AND cooker!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:42:20 AM »
I use SimiChrome paste on many metal parts, bikes, grills, cars. Works great. Comes in a tube or a tub. Reminds me I need more, I'm almost out.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 05:46:24 AM »
I would not give up on thermo cover either. However, you are  ordering parts, I recall that piece was cheap. 
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:06 AM »
When faced with caked hardened grease, I give it a shot of WD-40 because I think that softens it up and makes subsequent steps easier.
kettles, smokers...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »
Everything I learned about cleaning kettles, I learned from the experts on this site, so I don't have much to add except to say that 0000 steel wool is a polishing wonder for both porcelain and vent covers, and that automotive polishing compound (not wax!) from I think Turtle Wax is great stuff.  Mother's magnesium and aluminum polish is awesome, too.  But the main thing is lots of scrubbing with the 0000 steel wool.  Be patient and persistent. 
One of the charcoal people.