Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Charcoal Summit: iPhone or Edsel?  (Read 9333 times)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
Weber Charcoal Summit: iPhone or Edsel?
« on: April 06, 2016, 08:42:12 AM »
Let's get the debate started on the day of release:  Is the Charcoal Summit a game changing new product in the grilling world, like the iPhone was for consumer electronics,  or will it be yet another huge product flop like the Ford Edsel or New Coke?

For the game changer argument:
* Unique features that look to address some of the shortcomings inherent in the ceramic kamado design (RapidFire Vent, open air insulation)
* Extremely versatile cooker with the adjustable grates, expansion shelf, etc.
* Insulated bowl that addresses the main weak point of a standard kettle, temperature fluctuation.

For the product flop argument:
The main thing that has me worried is Weber's brand image.  I liken it to Volkswagen (pre-dieselgate).  In the mid-2000s VW introduced a "luxury" sedan to compete with BMW, Mercedes, and their own Audi.  Management thought process at the time was that people who liked the VW brand would buy a $90k sedan, because it was a VW.  They grossly overestimated this.  Yes, there are very loyal VW owners around the world and in the US.  But those people buy VW because you can get a german engineered sedan for $25-$35k, which is what they can afford.  Anyone who can afford to spend $90k on a sedan will buy a Mercedes or BMW, if for no other reason than status.  That's exactly what happened, too. 

I'm wondering if a similar thing will happen to Weber with the Charcoal Summit.  I have no doubt that it is a solid product, and already @chefn58 indicates its performance matches the hype.  But most of us who like the Weber brand like it, among other things, because we have a solid, reliable cooker that is extremely versatile and doesn't cost a tremendous amount of money.  We get 80-90-95% of the capabilities of a high end ceramic or offset for 10-30% of the price.  Most of the people who buy the BGEs and Langs buy them because of the exclusive aspect.  Anyone that knows a small amount about grills knows some coin was dropped when a guy takes the cover off his BGE mounted in a table.  Will casual grillers realize this when someone pulls back the curtain on their Charcoal Summit?  More importantly, will enough people in the BGE/KJ market be willing to consider the Weber brand instead?  That's the real test to the success of this product, imo.

I think it would be more successful if it was priced closer to $1k instead of $2k.  This would make it more appealing to a wider audience, and it would get more Weber fans on board.  Once you have a wave of these guys raving about them online, the marketing will take care of itself.  One reason it has stood the test of time is the legion of loyal fans, after all.

Instead, Weber has pinned its hopes for success on this product to convincing a prospective BGE/KJ owner to consider their product instead.  Those folks tend to buy prestige and status.  They don't necessarily buy performance first.  And prestige buyers rarely want to buy something associated with "the masses."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:43:50 AM by LaTuFu »
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber Charcoal Summit: iPhone or Edsel?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »
I would argue that the Weber Kamado will meet or exceed the performance of Big Green Egg and other ceramics. Ceramics look cool but their experience leaves a lot to be desired. It seems like this Kamado fixes many of those gripes.  I for one am very excited by the Weber Charcoal Summit.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:18:24 AM »
Yep. As am I. 

But you and I, and pretty much everyone else here, is schooled enough in grills to know the difference.  Others?  Not exactly.  On one end, you'll have people like this guy: "Get the same thing with more features with an Acorn + Flameboss 200 for $1000 less."  Clueless, doesn't even know it, and won't bother to find out why.

On the other end, people with the ability to write the check who only know Weber as the kettle their Dad/Grandad used to have.  Will they take the time to discover what we already know, or will they buy the BGE because it is already the status symbol in that end of the market?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »
The market segmentation is taken care of as this grill isn't going to be sold in big box stores. It's only going to specialty and independent dealers where the grills on the floor will be in the same class. People with those Weber Kettle memories already AND are in the market for a $1500 charcoal grill could very well be attracted to the SCG as the flagship kettle/Kamado for the new generation.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »
It isn't called Summit by accident. People who shop for Summit gas grills can and will shop for this.
People who shop for  new Genesis/Spirit gas grills will shop for Performers and WSMs.
I will stick to my Craigslist kettles, WSM, and 30 year old Genesis 2.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »
I do like the Summit Charcoal Grill and I think it will do well against the Kamado market. One of the biggest things I thought would be an annoyance with a kamado cooker was the ash cleanup. That (and price) is why I decided on going with an Akorn for that style of cooker. I think the Weber ash catcher is a great addition to the product type. The hinged deflector may make it a bit easier to add more fuel if needed, but you still have to contend with moving the grill loaded with food out of the way first.

I would say more iPhone and less Edsel. It has some good new features (like the flip up vent wheel on top), but I wouldn't go quite as far as calling it a game changer.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

Craig

• WKC Mod
Weber Charcoal Summit: iPhone or Edsel?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »
iPhone.

I also predict in the next five years we will see a copper and green finish option after testing the waters with classic Weber Jet Black. Think classy outdoor kitchens and the buyer wants his/her Summit Charcoal Grill to have "earth tones". And yes I still say/predict this even if Weber never offers the 26 kettle in anything other than black..
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:24:54 PM by Craig »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 02:56:17 AM »
I would argue that the Weber Kamado will meet or exceed the performance of Big Green Egg and other ceramics. Ceramics look cool but their experience leaves a lot to be desired. It seems like this Kamado fixes many of those gripes.  I for one am very excited by the Weber Charcoal Summit.

Have any of you ever been to an Eggfest?  Because just when I thought that I had seen everything that the egg could do, someone always blows my mind with something new.

Weber needs to pull their heads out of their asses and start courting the consumers instead of the bloggers
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 04:49:26 AM »
Was the ranch kettle a success? I think it and the Summit charcoal are way over priced.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 07:09:12 AM »

Have any of you ever been to an Eggfest?  Because just when I thought that I had seen everything that the egg could do, someone always blows my mind with something new.

Weber needs to pull their heads out of their asses and start courting the consumers instead of the bloggers

I have not hat the pleasure of going to Eggfest or Eggs by the Bay but I stand by my statement that the Kamado has inherent flaws on usability. If the person using it doesn't mind, then great for them. BBQ folks are crafty people and its really cool to see creative solutions on a Kamado, kettle, or otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:14:18 AM by pbe gummi bear »

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 07:25:22 AM »
My dealer will have his Friday so I'm going to look at it and next Thursday I.will be doing some demo.grilling with it so I can see if I'm getting one or not. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »
At this point, waaaaay early in the game, I am still leaning towards iPhone more than Edsel. 

But I have concerns with the initial market reactions--all of which I fully admit is anecdotal at best, and skewed because of the segments I was viewing.  Scanning Facebook's Weber page, Weber Kettle Fans (Public Group), BBQ Brethren, Instagram, and a few other BBQ forums and social media platforms, the response was nearly universal--way overpriced, nothing new, not on the same level as the Ceramics.  Even the people who saw it as an "Egg Beater" (trademark pending!) and saw potential in the product did not agree with pricing. 

I expected to see at least a small wave of support among the BBQ crowd, since they have exposure to the BGE/KJs and understand their value.  They almost universally didn't see the value in the SCG. 

Granted, it's D-Day +1, there is a long way to go.  I'm remaining firmly planted in perspective.  This will be a fascinating product roll out to watch.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 07:29:29 AM »
The Weber Egg Beater moniker is hilarious.

I just had to.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:37:23 AM by pbe gummi bear »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
Edsel . . . No.

iPhone . . . not a valid comparison.  There are really only 2 choices (iPhone/Droid) in the market and you only other choice is to do without.  There are at least 4 or 5 (now) high priced Kamado Cookers on the market not to mention hundreds of other options - both cheaper and more expensive.

Shelby Mustang . . . more likely comparison. And who will be shelling out $50-60K for something run out and pick up some hamburger meat?  The same one who shell out $2K for a grill to cook the burgers.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »
@Big Dawg what I meant by the comparison to the iphone is that it is generally considered a very game changing product when it was initially released.  At that time, there were several players vying for market share in the emerging smartphone market.  Nokia, Microsoft, RIM (Blackberry), Google, and Palm all had Operating Systems they were jockeying for position in the market.  Apple came along and cleared out many of them.  Google has remained the only consistent and credible competitor to iOS.