Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MBH Brownie refurb in San Diego  (Read 4226 times)

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
MBH Brownie refurb in San Diego
« on: April 04, 2016, 05:32:00 AM »
I mention San Diego because I only have around 12 weeks to do so and I can.  If you ever have a chance to live here for a bit I highly recommend it.  This place will spoil you rotten.  Ok, on to the subject matter.
To see the before pictures, go here.
This poor soul was not feeling too well when it came to my home.  From top to bottom, the lid handle was just a couple of pieces of blocks with wood screws sandwiching the metal and was leaning like the tower of Pisa, the lid itself was out of round and couldn't sit correctly, the rim of the lid is full of chips and dings and looks as if it has been dropped a good number of times.  The grates looked to have gotten extremely hot; the charcoal grate was in the shape of a bowl.  The porcelain is worn away around the weld points for the leg sockets inside and out of the bowl.  Again, chips and dings all around the rim.  The worst of the leg sockets came off during disassembly and the leg is stuck in the socket.  Too much corrosion and build up that it's like digging out concrete.  The foreleg has a serious ground in flat spot on the bottom like the kettle had been moved around by pulling it from the rear handle and allowing the front leg to drag along the cement.  One of the wheels has warping in such a way I have not seen before but then, this is my first time restoring a kettle.  Finally, the rust on the triangle is so thick I should buy a new one, but I am cheap and so did not.  Oh, and one of the tines broke away from the axle bar on the triangle.  I know, I know, I will shell out the cash for a new one after I move this summer.  Picture(s)...

Here it is at home next to my workhorse.

Another at home, solo this time.
So, because I am a top-to-bottom kind of fella,  I began...at the top.  I apologize for the not getting certain things in the before and afters.  I am a little on the eager side and, like I said, this is my first go at this.
To the hardware store I went.  Picked up some 0000, brass bristle wire tooth brushes and this.

Only for spot checking the inside, I didn't coat the whole thing.  It's being used in an effort to stop/slow the cancer.
Disassembly.

Now we attack the lid.  First thing was to get rid of the wood on the handle (no pictures, sorry) and order a new handle from Brian.  A finished two rivet jobber.  Can't wait until that one arrives.  The suspense is awful.  Then I gently bent the handle back upright.  Next, the lid got flipped over and experienced the razor blade.  Now, the 0000 and a gentle cleaning solution created by my wife.  I don't know what's in it but it smells of cinnamon and cut grease very well without bubbling paint.  Finally, some love with the brass bristle and touch up with the high temp enamel.  Touch ups were done by using a 1/4" wide cheap model paint brush.  Spray some paint into a container and dab with the brush.  Three coats.
More to come.

Christopher
2016 MT

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: MBH Brownie refurb in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »
Those are pretty cookers. I hope to find one someday. Good job bud.

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:19:10 AM »
Looking good man. I'm glad you were able to grab this up. Keep it up.
Jim

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 12:16:36 PM »
Looking good so far, i'm wondering if you could use cooking oil on the rust spots on the inside to avoid the possible fumes from the paint?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
STOP !!!    Step back, take a breath, and really appreciate how much you have accomplished  ...  starting to look amazing AND it'll cook too :)   ;D                            SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
@1911Ron Yeah, I had read in another topic where you or someone spoke about the cooking oil.  I believe I will give that a go on my next. Truth be told, I have a LOT more completed than what I have shown.  However, not to worry, I plan on doing a "burn in" cook with no food to set the enamel and I hope that would, in a perfect world, alleviate fumes. In a perfect world. ;)

@SmokenJoe Agh! Can't stop now! Almost done, believe me, with my honey-do list I do smell the roses periodically. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:14:50 PM by Hybridtwin77 »
Christopher
2016 MT

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
I mention San Diego because I only have around 12 weeks to do so and I can.  If you ever have a chance to live here for a bit I highly recommend it.  This place will spoil you rotten.

Truth!

Great work on the kettle, can't wait to see the finished product.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 05:09:09 PM »
Wow, great job so far!
A wire brush, the kind that attaches to a drill, will make quick work of the rust on that triangle.
Can't wait to see it all finished!

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 08:39:24 PM »
ALRIGHT!  Now for another installment of our favorite program.
The bowl.  Clean up of the bowl actually went pretty easy.  Quartered it and went to town with the razor blade and 0000 again.  Afterwards, the brass bristle came out for the rust spots and more spot painting with the enamel.  Like the rim of the lid, the rim of the bowl has plenty of blemishes.  Hit all the inside gouges with the black and then found something nice for the outside of the lid and kettle.

After the inside of the bowl it was time to take a break and cook some dinner.  Not a kettle cook but still fun just the same.

Cookin' the carne for some tacos.  I love it here.
Christopher
2016 MT

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 08:48:17 PM »
Great restore!  Love the brownies!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
Great cleanUP so far :)   Nice comal flat cook'n the carne  ...   I see it's got the dogs interest :)                         SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 02:29:06 AM »
Beautiful work!   Definitely deserve a pat on the back!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 05:35:49 AM »
@SmokenJoe The only time that quadruped isn't around is when it's time to curl up and relax.  He's my shadow until then, that's momma's time.  I get all of the adventures but very little of the snuggles.  I believe at the moment of the photo he was on his way to check his holes for signs of gopher. 
Christopher
2016 MT

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 05:49:45 AM »
Looking good so far!

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 06:23:41 AM »
Hello all you boys and girls!  Welcome back for the next episode.  Today, we will talk about clear enamel coating, triangle clean up and what it's like to paint a wheel as warped as me.
Whilst I was cleaning up the inside of the lid and bowl I had been thinking about the outside chips and ding and how many there are and what to do about them.  I couldn't paint them black, although a Holstein patterned grill might not be so bad, I hoped I could find a brown that matched.  Of course, when I went shopping there were no rattle cans of high temp brown enamel to be found. But while cruising an auto parts store what to my wondering eyes did appear???

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we had found what was needed.  This would allow me to cover any troublesome exposed sheet metal, retain the "character" of the years and not have to maintenance all of those damn spots so much.  Yes, hello, I am a lazy man and fully believe in finding a way to do something once without having to continually mess with after.  So again with the 0000 and a wipe down on the outside of the lid and kettle.  After which, the brass bristle, and alcohol wipe and the model paint brush.  We're getting there.

Oh, I forgot to mention that before the 0000 scrub down I purchased a brass bristle wire cup attachment for my drill.  The pitting and corrosion and filth was so thick on ALL of the daisy wheels that I felt it prudent to use said brush on my 12v DeWalt.  No pictures of that, sorry, but one can see the results in the pictures above.
SO, while the new clear coat was drying I decided to face off with the entirely too rusted triangle.  Witness:

It may not look like much in the photograph but the scale had expanded so much under the wheels they wouldn't rotate and were difficult to remove.  Luckily my neighbor has a small blasting cabinet and to town I went.  After the blast I rubbed the spokes and axle bar with the 0000 and a good couple of coats with the clear.  Result:

Still unsatisfied that I ran out of another piece of the puzzle with yet quite a bit of daylight left I went on to the wheels.  In these next photos it looks as if I painted on of those wheels poorly.  I assure you, twas not my lack of skill but rather a wheel as warped and crooked as a politician.  The wheels received a good soapy water bath, allowed to dry then wiped with the isopropyl and painted three coats of flat white.

Any mistakes made were cleaned up using a cotton swab and thinner as per the instructions.  I suppose I should mention all steps taken during this refurb were learned from this site and followed quite closely.  Except for the enamel, of course.
Stay tuned as this afternoon we shall discuss legs, the suspense in waiting for parts and weenie dogs.  As in earning the approval of the dachshund.
Christopher
2016 MT