Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: *Brown Happy Cooker*  (Read 3377 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
*Brown Happy Cooker*
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:16:36 PM »
Picked this up yesterday, the seller wanted to "save it from the landfill". Was told it has rusty and wobbly legs - I asked if it had the internal ash pan which it did, so I basically went into it for that alone. Not knowing what I was going to be coming away with, I was pleasantly surprised at some of the features of this kettle.

The legs are indeed rusty and horribly unstable, but all in all not a bad looker.

stainless steel vents all in top shape

Ash pan in good condition - charcoal grate- meh?

Cook grate is heftier than the Weber plated grates, no handles

Hinged lid feature is a nice touch

Happy Cooker bowl handle upside down

Stainless steel lid vent in center, same size as bowl vents, handle says "Exclusive Hinged Lid". Vents all read: The Happy Cooker  Unarco Home Products Paris Il 61944

I will defer to resident Happy Cooker aficionado @Idahawk for more info on this grill.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: *Brown Happy Cooker*
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »
This is the " deluxe " model , the first versions had wooden handles and towards the end of their run they started using bolt on plastic handles instead , nevertheless it's a great kettle . The porcelain on the semodels is heavy and stays in really great shape . Happy Cooker ran from 79-87, you could call it an early 80s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »
Nice find!
I've never seen one in person, but that heavier gauge grill seems cool.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »
Im glad you got it. It seemed like it was worth going after. Should be fun to play with & fix up.

I like it.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 07:48:16 PM »
Awesome grab!!!   Other than the legs, it looks to be in excellent condition. Congrats!!! 

I have it's twin here in WI.. Unfortunately, I'm missing the original top handle.  So glad you posted a pic of the "Exclusive Hinged Lid" script.  I might be able to get my wife's friend to duplicate it on the generic, blank handle I found last Friday.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
Nice find, I wonder if Weber legs would fit?  One thing I have noticed is the Varity of styles that the Happy Cooker came in, very interesting.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »
Nice find, I wonder if Weber legs would fit?  One thing I have noticed is the Varity of styles that the Happy Cooker came in, very interesting.

Sure weber legs will fit you just need to drill a bolt hole in the top , weber legs will be about an inch shorter as well.
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
Cool score!  Too bad the legs aren't great.  Everytthing else looks to be in good shape.  CAn you reaplce the legs with weber legs?  or is the problem more with the leg sockets?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 03:01:27 PM »

I have had 2 Black HC's that were pretty roached out, both of them basic kettles with plastic handles. They were both sacrificed to the Drum Smoker gods.
Years ago I answered a CL ad for a Red Weber kettle and it turned out to be a metal/wood handle Brown HC and it was missing the ash pan and it too was in bad condition.
Over the last year I've seen 2 of the "Exclusive Hinged Lid" models both were listed as being Red, but the pics showed them to be more of a Plum/Maroon. $25-45 asking prices
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 09:33:50 PM »
Glad to see you did the drive South to pick that HC up.  She's in great looking condition.   The steel legs always seem to take the brunt of the weather, but they are std size tubing as I recall, or you could use Weber legs.   The internal ashpan looks like it's in fine condition.   Great pickUP.                         SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".