Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Easter Ranch cook  (Read 2204 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Easter Ranch cook
« on: March 27, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
Although I did use the Ranch to finish off cooking corned beef and cabbage, Easter brunch was my first real cook on this.

I didn't document very well, but here is what I do have. The set up.

Early this month @TD showed how he had modded standard baskets. I saw that and ordered a set from Amazon. I wired them together with SS wire for this maximum configuration. It will fit the Ranch and the 26, but nothing smaller. This is holding one full lit chimney and an unlit half or so chimney.

One chimney seems to equal 350 degrees for about an hour.

Then I cooked just under three pounds of applewood bacon on sheet trays. At once. I do wish that I had taken a pic, but I didn't. Next up was the apple bread and the potato sausage breakfast casserole. And the rest of the bacon.

Then the bacon came off after about twenty minutes and the ham went on. Again, no pic. But here is a quick snap I got of the spread.

And someone wants in at the food!

My original plan had been to pull the coals from the Ranch to a 22, put on a wok, and do corned beef hash ala @TheDude. But by that time my daughter had made enough quiche to get everyone fed. So the corned beef leftovers got vac packed and frozen.

The apple bread recipe came from an @One Touch Platinum post. Someone mentioned him the other day and I looked up some of his cooks. The apple bread was excellent.

Happy Easter

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
Re: Easter Ranch cook
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »
I love BBQ bacon. If you haven't try just letting it sit on the rack with a drip pan below, that's my favorite. Cooks similar to oven cooked bacon rather then pan fried, but with that tasty BBQ goodness.

Looks like an awesome meal, must be amazing having all that real estate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:47:48 AM »
I'm sorry but my eyes glazed over after reading "potato sausage breakfast casserole." Was there more to this post? 'Cause if so I don't care. ;)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 06:43:28 AM »
Wow.

This was meant for Cooks and Pics if someone will move it.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:41:19 AM »
@Jon I remember the hash post, but can't take credit for it. I'd also like to hear more about the casserole.
Still need a 22” yellow

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »
That's a whole lot of good looking food!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 12:53:28 PM »
It was good, thank you, and there was a lot of it. Three pounds of bacon just disappeared!

@TheDude , the starting recipe is from http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sausage-hash-brown-breakfast-casserole

The ingredients were:
1 pound mild ground pork sausage
1 pound hot ground pork sausage
1 (30-ounce) package frozen hash browns
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
6 large eggs
2 cups milk

Brown the sausage, whisk the eggs and milk, mix everything else up and spread in a dish, pour over the egg mixture. Cook at 350 until set. I googled "potato egg breakfast casserole" and picked this one out of the thousand returned because it is so basic. It's ready for adding whatever else you want to add. (sauteed onion and yellow bell pepper in my case)

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 05:03:51 AM »
I'm sorry but my eyes glazed over after reading "potato sausage breakfast casserole." Was there more to this post? 'Cause if so I don't care. ;)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!  +1
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962