Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ....so...is there a Platinum Appreciation group here??  (Read 7088 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
....so...is there a Platinum Appreciation group here??
« on: March 24, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
I've kind of passed on a few over the years, but I picked up an older style Green 22".

The bowl is in bad shape. I got it primarily for the frame, but a restoration could be a possibility?

Looking around the site I'm not seeing a lot of info on them. I know folks have them.

What years were they in circulation?

What colors are out there?

Give me some direction, before things get weird!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:08:32 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: ....so...is there a Platinum Appreciation group here??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 08:32:06 AM »
I have a 2001 black, in pretty good shape.
Still need a 22” yellow

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:16 AM »
Mine was an 01 black too. I lovingly referred to it as the poor mans performer. Served well until I got my hands on a performer. Biggest negative was low height IMO but table was still handy.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:15:15 AM »
So long as the kettle doesn't fall out of the frame or coals don't drop out of the bottom just cook on it until that happens. Never seen a green one; here's an example of the Brick (is that correct?) I found online:

Plum was an available kettle color in those days and I want to say it may have also been offered in this style too?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
I have two, one i replaced the table on one and the other i swapped the bowl (green) with the one on the non GA SS Performer (red) I need to fix the crack in the table and clean and paint the frame.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 09:46:15 AM »
We like it weird...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:46:33 AM »
Longtime member, @One Touch Platinum , does some amazing and impressive cooks on his.
I haven't seen him on here much lately … Worth searching some of his cook-ups.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 12:20:21 PM »
The OTP is what I learned everything I know about cooking on a Weber

POST #3000
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »
I have a mint blue 18. Cool little dude.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »
I have a 2002 black OTP was my everyday cooker until I got my 1999 red ss performer.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »
It's a DD -2000. The lid is in remarkable condition and will clean up nicely. Table top and frame supports are solid, no cracks.

Bottom wire shelf is solid but rusty under the One Touch system.

The bowl - well it speaks for itself! I've seen some disasters, but the rust out and grate holders are something else!

There have been a few 22" OTP's pop up on Seattle/CL recently in the $30-$60 range, linger for a while and disappear, a couple have been posted as much as $150 with a weekly 5 buck price drop, all blackies. Only other colors I recall ever seeing were Black, Blue and Green.

Time to get weird!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 03:31:55 PM »
I see what you mean. Could always peel away the grate holders, patch with some steel plate and drill 8 holes in the bowl, with nuts/bolts to hold the grates. Wouldn't do anything for longevity but would get it cookin' again.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »
One Touch Platinum kettles were made from 2000-2004 then discontinued. Then they were redesigned and reintroduced in 2010. The second generation models stood much taller: A whopping 35" inches tall! Also, the lid tilted back like a gasser. The only Weber charcoal grill with this design (except for the RK). The second generation OTP ran three model years from 2010-2012. These are very rare as they were only produced for three years and very few ever sold.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 04:17:19 PM »
I like the original OTP as well.as the 2nd OTP.  the grate straps look like they may be useable. .maybe a slight tap here and there to get them lined up. I found this putty to use on my Ranch around the grate straps...says drinking water safe so i used it...so far so good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »
I have two, one i replaced the table on one and the other i swapped the bowl (green) with the one on the non GA SS Performer (red) I need to fix the crack in the table and clean and paint the frame.

I'm thinking RED also....