Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First run on the Kettle Pizza  (Read 4576 times)

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
First run on the Kettle Pizza
« on: March 12, 2016, 04:31:14 PM »
My wife got me the Kettle Pizza this week for my birthday.  Finally got to test it out tonight.  I got a little impatient and only let my pizza stone get up to 750 before throwing on the inaugural pizza.

Basic pepperoni with a store bought dough but turned out pretty good for a first attempt.  Looking forward to getting a little more adventurous as confidence grows.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Re: First run on the Kettle Pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »
"Pretty good for the first time"? Looks REALLY good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Yankee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 05:03:06 PM »
Yeah! It looks great!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:36:53 AM »
Thanks.  Going to be some trial and error to get things up over 900 degrees.  I did a full chimney of lit then dumped a half a chimney of unlit on it.  Once the temp started to climb I added probably a dozen wood chunks.  Temp on the stone still never broke 775.

Probably need to use wood splits instead of chunks to really get temps up.  I'll get there!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »

Thanks.  Going to be some trial and error to get things up over 900 degrees.  I did a full chimney of lit then dumped a half a chimney of unlit on it.  Once the temp started to climb I added probably a dozen wood chunks.  Temp on the stone still never broke 775.

Probably need to use wood splits instead of chunks to really get temps up.  I'll get there!

Russell, are you sure you need the stone that hot? I thought that the temp of 900 I've read about concerning Neapolitan pizzas was the ceiling temp and that the stone was supposed to be 200-250* cooler. But maybe one of the pizza pros will chime in since I'm a newby.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 07:27:39 AM »

Russell, are you sure you need the stone that hot? I thought that the temp of 900 I've read about concerning Neapolitan pizzas was the ceiling temp and that the stone was supposed to be 200-250* cooler. But maybe one of the pizza pros will chime in since I'm a newby.

@Russell C. -  Great job.  I'm not seeing anything wrong with that pizza.  Was the bottom not crispy enough?  Looks good to me!

I second what @kettlecook said about the stone temp.  Usually you want it about 200 cooler than the temp above the stone.  If you get your stone much hotter you are going to end up with a burned crust before the top has enough time to cook.  I don't think I've ever had my stone much about 600.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »
Man, that looks great!

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:38:50 AM »
Looks great!! I really need to fire mine up and try this!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 04:09:31 AM »
Perfecto!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 05:12:32 AM »
That looks fantastic Russ. I'm still contemplating buying a kettle pizza

Frostbrewed

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 04:53:02 AM »
I had seen a DIY of a guy on youtube that made a kettle pizza for about $20 in rolled sheet metal and some hardware. I think that I may go that route, I just bought the Performer deluxe and cover, basically the essentials, and spent enough cash, although I want to try the pizza, so I think I may give the DIY a go.

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »
@Frostbrewed good luck.  There really isn't too much to them, obviously.  My wife tells me I'm handsy but not handy.  Glad she bought it for me because its been a hoot and I probably wouldn't have spent the money or attempted to make one myself.