Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: St. Patty's Day Entry Kobe Beef  (Read 2119 times)

Chilebrown

• Smokey Joe
St. Patty's Day Entry Kobe Beef
« on: March 16, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »

We found some very special corned beef at our local club store from Snake River Farms. It is beef from American Kobe breed of cattle. The Japanese counterpart Kobe beef is rumored to be massaged daily and fed a diet which includes sake. This Kobe beef is a very flavorful with its full marbling of fat. This particular cut is from the beef round and not the traditional brisket flat. This
should be interesting and delicious.

Our cook will be on the Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker. We love our 14.5 inch model. It is so easy to use. You practically set it and forget it. Corned beef is cured in salt, sugar and spices. We need to purge some of the salt from our beef to lower the salt content. Twenty four hours before our cook, we put our beef in a pot of cold water into the refrigerator. We changed this water three times. You could see the water clouded with a briny salt solution with each rinse. Before we put our roast in the smoker we dried it and gave it a light dusting of rub. This was more to add color and crust flavor boost because this roast with the corning process was highly seasoned. We used hickory wood as our smoke. The roast smoked for 6 hours until the internal temperature reached 190 degrees. We let our roast rest for 45 minutes. It was a very long 45 minutes.

This corned beef almost brought tears to my eyes it was so good. With the purging process our roast was seasoned to perfection. It sliced very nice leaving a tender but succulent piece of beef. Ms. Goofy proclaimed this to be the 'Best Corned Beef Ever". I will have to agree.  I could use terms like; Umami, buttery, beefy, heavenly, fantastic mouth feel and so much more to describe this beef. Kobe beef has a unique beefy flavor that just needs to be experienced. I may have to go back and pick up a couple of more roasts before they are gone.  You can also read more food adventures with lot of pictures using Weber's at   http://www.madmeatgenius.com/

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: St. Patty's Day Entry Kobe Beef
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 08:00:51 AM »
Alright, forget our other quaint entries with veggies and Irish beer. WINNER!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
Holy cow, that looks unreal! I've seen some other cuts by snake river cooked on YouTube. Looks like an amazing product. Great job man. What made you "purge" it for a day? I've never heard of doing that before. Hey, beautiful cook brother!

Chilebrown

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »
The initial packaging is surrounded by brining fluid. If you do not purge it the salt content will be to high. Traditionally corned beef is boiled and that removes some of the salt brine. I have found by purging the beef of salt/brine  you will still have a perfectly seasoned meal. I have learned this from experience.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »
Got it. Thanks!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
The initial packaging is surrounded by brining fluid. If you do not purge it the salt content will be to high. Traditionally corned beef is boiled and that removes some of the salt brine. I have found by purging the beef of salt/brine  you will still have a perfectly seasoned meal. I have learned this from experience.

Thanks for the pro tip.
Still need a 22” yellow

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »
That looks awesome!  Pretty much made pastrami.  Switch up the rub with black pepper and coriander and you have the guts of a killer Reuben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »
Yeah that looks pretty killer...

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »
Outstanding! [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 04:51:53 AM »
That Kobe looks fantastic! I'm going to try to find some.

●|||||||●

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Magnificent pic of the sliced beef.  I can still see the marbling along with the color.  Hope you paired this beautiful meal w/ a hearty Cab Sau.                                     SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".