Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza Steels vs. Stone  (Read 5961 times)

Frostbrewed

• Happy Cooker
Pizza Steels vs. Stone
« on: March 16, 2016, 05:47:56 AM »
Hey guys, I am new here, going to be picking up my Kettle Performer Deluxe this weekend, first Webber but long time charcoal guy.

Anyway, has anyone looked into a Pizza Steel in place of the Pizza Stone, I have had some good quality stones break in my oven cooking pizza, I an only assume that it may be worse in the kettle. I will be picking up the kettle pizza within the next few months, I like pizza on the grill way to much to pass this one up.

I thought that a steel ( http://tinyurl.com/z5zwucq ) would be an option, but wanted to see if anyone here used one and if so, how it performed for them. I don't own any pizza steels currently, I just threw that one in there for an idea and something to look at.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Pizza Steels vs. Stone
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:53:39 AM »
I have never used a pizza steel.  I had my initial pizza stone break into three peices over several cooks, but got a new stone that has not cracked yet in the three cooks I've done with it.  I got it from Amazon.  It's a 15" round stone made by California Pizza Stones
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:57:48 AM »
Corderite has been recommended.

Also, be careful of those Webbers. Often fake.

;)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:20:47 AM »
Another good stone based on the Cooks Illustrated review and Amazon reviews is the Old Stone Pizza Stones. They are more expensive than the one Mike linked but they are eligible for Amazon Prime so if you have that service the price comes out around the same.

Old Stone 4461 16 Inch Round Baking Stone

Old Stone 4467 14x16 Inch Baking Stone
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »
I have a stok pizza stone and baking steels that I use.  I haven't really noticed too much of a difference between the two, aside from the steel is square and takes up more room.  I just got a kettle pizza and have only used the steel with it so far.  Worked great.

I just got another baking steel that's 1/2" thick and weighs frickin 30lbs or so.  I haven't tried it out yet, but I assume it would take longer to heat and probably stay hot a lot longer.

Frostbrewed

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 07:31:10 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback, like I said I was debating on getting a steel anyway, now that blksabbath chimed in and stated that there is no difference in the cook itself I think that I am going to go that way with my purchase. Why not buy a single time and never worry about it again. The last stone that I had was only used in the oven and it lasted a long time, bumped it off a corner, it split. Temperamental little things that they are in some cases.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 08:23:38 AM »
I've only used stones but have recently been thinking about getting the steel. The advantage about the steel, I believe, is a quicker preheat time in the oven or kettle, and the less fuel to get it up to cooking temp.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
From what I've read, stones will produce a crispier crust because they pull moisture from the dough as it cooks.

This might only make a difference at high temps though.

For what its worth, the Kettle Pizza tombstone and prograte are freaking AWESOME

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »
From what I've read, stones will produce a crispier crust because they pull moisture from the dough as it cooks.

For what its worth, the Kettle Pizza tombstone and prograte are freaking AWESOME

I was leaning towards the Prograte/Tombstone combo. Do you also have the KettleSteel for the top @Troy?
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 04:10:43 PM »
Corderite has been recommended.

Ya, this.  I use a kiln shelf.  Picked it up at a pottery supply store.  Can handle temps over 2000℉.  No cracking, yet.  ;)

And as @Troy mentioned, I can get a crispy / browned crust.  YMMV
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:37:34 PM »

I was leaning towards the Prograte/Tombstone combo. Do you also have the KettleSteel for the top @Troy?

I do!
I really like it, it works extremely well. It can even double as a griddle (although I haven't tried it yet)

Frostbrewed

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »
Hmm, well then I will have to consider that. My family and I like a thinner crispy crust... Have to think on this some more I guess.

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 04:26:03 AM »
Any additional feedback from anyone that has used both a stone and a steel?

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »
This is just my opinion, but I think a stone would be better on the kettle.  My thought is that the steel has to much thermal mass and would be hard to balance out the steel floor temp to your above pie air temp, thus increasing the likelyhood of burning the bottom of your pizza. If I were to try a steel floor, I'd try and not have the fire under the steel floor, and have the heat redirected to a ceiling steel that would reflect the heat back down to heat up the floor steel. Just my thoughts, but could be totally wrong since I've never used a steel floor. A steel in the oven, I think would work well.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 06:12:13 AM »
I have this 7/8" thick corderite stone made by Dough-Joe (https://www.amazon.com/Dough-Joe%C2%AE-Pizza-Baking-Stone-Round/dp/B00BD9CC7Q). Been using this for almost 2 years of high temperature cooks on my Big Green Egg. I have had no issues and it stands up to the heat very well. Shipping on amazon for this is very high, but the stone is definitely worth the money!