Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza Steels vs. Stone  (Read 5979 times)

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pizza Steels vs. Stone
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
I have crafted several steels made of mild steel.  Thickness 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch. On a couple of the thicker ones I have put a groove around the edge so it could be used as a griddle. I have very good success in a convection oven, using the double steel method. I'm still working on perfecting my method on the grill.  The biggest issue has been getting  a nice char om the top of the crust. I have used 2 steels on the grill with the temperature one the top steel in the 400° and 700°  range on the bottom steel. I'm going to try keeping the lower steel temperature around 500° using the Kettlepizza attachment I just picked up and see how that works. I do like the steel over stone in the oven. Still working on the grill method.

I grilled a chicken spatchcock style on the griddle side, turned out very good, with a nice crispy skin.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:17:12 PM by Maxmbob »
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »
I'm currently using a 1/4" piece of steel, that I bought after my stone broke. It works really well. I do not put coals directly underneath it. I need to keep my steel oiled when not in use, otherwise it gets rusty  :(  I would love to have the KP grate at some point.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »

I'm currently using a 1/4" piece of steel, that I bought after my stone broke. It works really well. I do not put coals directly underneath it. I need to keep my steel oiled when not in use, otherwise it gets rusty  :(  I would love to have the KP grate at some point.

Would this be the best of both worlds then? CI is able to stay hot for a while and emits the high heat really well. Can't see one of these cracking or rusting if it's seasoned.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 12:38:48 AM »
I had the opportunity to cook on @Jason 's steel and the kettle pizza tombstone side by side.

We had both kettles ripping hot and used the same dough for all of our pizzas.
I don't think anyone could tell the difference in crusts... but then again we weren't really trying for that level of scientific testing.

When it comes to maintenance and ease of use, I would say the prograte and tombstone spanks all other options.