Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Paying the WSM Love forward  (Read 4359 times)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Paying the WSM Love forward
« on: March 14, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »
There's a fella at church that was gifted a smoker last year. One of those that make you think it's a rectangular WSM. He was trying to cook a pork butt for his boys birthday party and was having a helluva time. He called me in a panic, so I grabbed some supplies out of the Taj MaWeber and drove over to see if I could lend a hand.
We were able to figure out the issue, I gave him some pointers on future mods and made my way home. Good thing 'cuz his 2 year old was gonna wear my 17 yo out!
Fast forward to yesterday. I'm at church by my lonesome and the aforementioned fellas wife comes up and asks about WSMs. Said they were at Cabella's and found one for about $189. I told her it would be a 14.5" and might be on the small side. Told her I saw an 18.5" WSM on CL for $175 the other day and offered to agent it for her if she was interested. Hubby walks up about then.
Last night I'm doing dishes and the Holy Spirit tells me to bless her by giving her one.
So I send her a text and asks if she will let me bless her. She was understandably confused. I told her that I had a WSM at the Yacht Club with her name on it. She just needed to come get it. I let her know it was used but it had gotten the full Wyocena Yacht Club restore treatment (completely disassembled, cleaned, re-assembled with SS hardware). I got it out of the rafters last night. It really is in great shape and I doubt they'll mind it has an EE bowl and a DU dome.
She was thrilled! Even said they consider my wife and me to be mentors. Pretty High Cotton right there.
So the WSM inventory will be back down to 10 and I have helped out a lovely young couple who are working hard to do the right things in life.
This is the best part of scoring Webers on CL. Giving them away. I think this is the third WSM I have given away, and I have given away at least 5 kettles.
I encourage y'all to use this hobby of ours to bring joy and happiness to your friends and neighbors.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Paying the WSM Love forward
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:36:42 PM »
Gave one away too. It's a nice thing to be able to do for someone.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Paying the WSM Love forward
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 02:27:51 PM »
It's so much better to give than receive, isn't it? Very cool. I'll never forget how happy my neighbor was after I gave him one of my kettles. He'd been trying to smoke chicken on a cheap offset and I told him everybody needed a Weber kettle. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
Good on you H.M.. The good deed will probably come back to you....and if it doesn't so what.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:17:11 PM »
Great gesture. And that's awesome that you listened to the promoting of the Holy Spirit.

Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:43:15 PM »
Nice move!!!  Although you might not think a certain kettle/smoker is anything special, someone else definitely will.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 06:53:13 PM »
Great story and good for you. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:47 PM »
Great to hear. All parties involved are blessed.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 10:35:12 PM »
Bless your heart, Harbormaster. You're a shining example for the WKC.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Normal_J_Bird

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 06:29:28 PM »
Harbormaster thank you for sharing this story, and thank you for expressing your faith.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 07:34:32 PM »
Nice work, brother! I'm sure the WSM and the love shown is greatly appreciated.
Growing family = growing kettles!

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 06:50:01 AM »

Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
Luke 6:38

Now you get to watch the Spirit move through you to others. Amazing to see the small things that can trigger big things.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 02:36:43 PM »
Very cool brother. I love that anytime we as a people can help out one another in whatever way, it makes people a little nicer. Opens the heart if you will. Scrolling through these comments makes me feel very good about being apart of this group. Whether we ever meet or not, I'm proud. Thanks for sharing brother

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 11:07:04 PM »
That was a wonderful thing you did. It sure made me feel good reading that. Good for you sir!
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »
HM this was a very nice gesture on your part and i bet those young folks will forever remember your kindness. I have never given any away but have turned over for cost minus my labor. 
They will get a lot of pleasure from this WSM as they are a great tool and a great way to make friends.
Coo dos.
I believe there will be a special place in BBQ heaven for people like you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:17:20 AM by Easy »