Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another Slow N Sear cook.  (Read 2740 times)

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Another Slow N Sear cook.
« on: February 29, 2016, 03:31:29 PM »
I smoked some baby back and a slab of St. Louis cut spare ribs using the SNS today. For the rub I went with the Weber's KC BBQ rub. I used the partyq temperature controller and closed all vents and held it at 265 for 2 and a half hours. Wrapped for additional 2 hours and 1 hour to finish. No leftovers.

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Terry Filarecki

• Smokey Joe
Re: Another Slow N Sear cook.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 04:54:46 AM »
Looks great! On your set up,  It  looks like you did not use the snake method. Is this because you used the partyq? Can you explain how you set up your charcoal?

Thanks for the help!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:23:19 AM »
Looks awesome @Bustin Butt!  When you say you shut down the vents, does that include the top vent?  I know the bottom needs to be shut down for the partyq to work properly.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

John Middleton

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:15:27 AM »
Hello, Ribs look awesome! What bbq sauce did you use on top of the rub? I just bought a Slow n Sear, any advice?

Thank you

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Another Slow N Sear cook.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:45:40 AM »
Looks great! On your set up,  It  looks like you did not use the snake method. Is this because you used the partyq? Can you explain how you set up your charcoal?

Thanks for the help!
Sure Terry and thanks! I didn't use the snake method, instead I used the Slow N Sear tool. See below

I filled the SNS with a chimney full of unlit briquettes, about 4 chunks of pecan wood and then added about 12 fully lit coals at the very corner of it. Then I filled the water reservoir with hot water. NOW...you can either use a partyq and shut all the vents closed and let the unit control your heat like I did, or you can do without the partyq and fully open the top vent and control your heat manually using the bottom vents. The key to controlling your temperature whether using the SNS or the snake method...is being patient and gradually let your temp rise to your idea temp. It is very hard to tame a hot kettle. Once those coals get hot and red, you're in a dogfight to maintain a good steady temp. The key here is low and slow. Get your meat on the grill BEFORE your desire temp. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:48:46 AM by Bustin Butt »

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »

Looks awesome @Bustin Butt!  When you say you shut down the vents, does that include the top vent?  I know the bottom needs to be shut down for the partyq to work properly.
Yes Mike. Our Weber kettles don't seal real tight so it's imperative to close the top vent as well. You want the partyq to push air into the kettle and when the temperature rises past your set point, you want no air feeding those coals and that allows your coals to cool and the temperature will eventually fall. That is how the partyq works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »

Hello, Ribs look awesome! What bbq sauce did you use on top of the rub? I just bought a Slow n Sear, any advice?

Thank you
Thanks John! I found this very tasty sauce at a local Sams club. I've been getting thumbs up from family and friends on the taste. It's called Sonny's BBQ sauce.

And as for as advice, follow the lighting directions from the manufacturer to the T. And like I mentioned above, be patient when heating your kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk