Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying My 3rd Smoke - Ribs this time  (Read 3272 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Trying My 3rd Smoke - Ribs this time
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:32:53 AM »
I have been wanting to try ribs since I got my Weber Kettle grill. I tried two different rubs and some hickory wood. I went by the exact instructions for the Slow and Sear this time. I was able to get consistent temperatures without adjusting the vents every 10-15min. I think I'm starting to get how my grill cooks dialed in. I was able to keep it for over an hour almost holding 228. It fluctuated from 226-228-230 but I can live with that swing. I couldn't hold that for more than 90min. I was able to hold temperatures more easily. I figured out what I was doing wrong before. In the past when I opened the vents to let the grill breathe I didn't turn them down fast enough. It allowed the charcoal to get too hot and made controlling the temperatures a lot harder. What I did this time is if the temp dropped to lets say 215. I'd open the top vent all the way until the dropping temp stopped then as it started climbing back up I'd close the top vent to where it was before (usually closed so the C in LLC was right over the top of the vent) about 10 degrees from my target. This usually held the temp there for a good amount of time. The bottom vent was held at 1/4 open almost the whole cook.

I realized after this cook that I like wet ribs. I tried two different rubs on each rack but I couldn't taste the difference. I'm not sure if I used too much hickory wood or what. The ribs came out great and my family demolished them which is the true test. Thanks for everyone's tips and recommendations. This forum is great.

2hrs in before wrapping

Done

Looking good

The family demolished them.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:40:49 AM by BBQFiend »
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Trying My 3rd Smoke - Ribs this time
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »
Those look GRATE!!!!!

Noticed you said: "The family demolished them" ..............twice............. 8)

That's usually a good indicator of how things actually were!!!!

Good you could get the hang of temps like you wanted, much tighter window than an indoor oven !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:40 AM »
Looks awesome.  It only gets more and more fun as you learning how to get the grill dialed in and start having to adjust it less and less each cook!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »
Looks awesome.  It only gets more and more fun as you learning how to get the grill dialed in and start having to adjust it less and less each cook!

Thanks. I'm still on the fence about the Slow and Sear. I like it but I need to do a few cooks with out it to see if it makes a difference.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
Your ribs look really good. I wouldn't worry about small temp fluctuations. And if you're gonna foil anyhow, there's nothing wrong with cooking faster. As for telling the difference between rubs, yes, the smoke will really mute the flavors. One of the best or the best BBQ joints in Nashville supposedly doesn't put anything on their ribs but salt and smoke until after they're done. Then they liberally apply the dry rub like they do in many joints in Memphis. I'm not saying that's the way to go, but it's certainly a cost effective and efficient method. I usually glaze half the ribs and the others are dry. I forgot to leave some dry last time and got in trouble with the Missus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:16:52 PM »
Great job!   I'm working out my own issues with the SnS.  I think it definitely has a place in my toolbox, though.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:28:32 PM »
Ribs look great! im into wet ribs too, but I like to sauce them after I pull them off the grill, while I'm eating them. I feel like I can taste each layer of flavor (meat, rub, smoke, sauce) and I feel like I get better bark too.

The important thing though is what you and your family/friends like

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »

Great job!   I'm working out my own issues with the SnS.  I think it definitely has a place in my toolbox, though.

BD
I agree. Definitely have a place in my toolbox as well. The SNS does a low and slow really well. I just finally installed a partyq adapter on my Weber so I don't have to fight with the temperature anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 05:01:07 PM »

BD
I agree. Definitely have a place in my toolbox as well. The SNS does a low and slow really well. I just finally installed a partyq adapter on my Weber so I don't have to fight with the temperature anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let us know how it goes. I occasionally use a PartyQ with my 26.75". Works great with briquettes but I've had some issues with it letting the fire go out with lump. I'd think that the Slow n Sear would take care of the issue.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Trying My 3rd Smoke - Ribs this time
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »
Yea I would think lump would be a little tricky since it burns really hot and you'd get temperature spikes. I never tried lump with the SNS.

If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »

Yea I would think lump would be a little tricky since it burns really hot and you'd get temperature spikes. I never tried lump with the SNS.

Yeah, the issue is that the lump will start to burn quickly at the start, and so the ATC will quit giving it any air. Then the problem is the the ATC doesn't seem to "know" how quick lump will die once completely deprived of oxygen. That was with the crappy Cowboy lump I've been trying to use up, though. Maybe I won't have the same problem with RO.

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 05:18:35 AM »

I haven't tried lump either. In the SNS instructions it says to use briquettes.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 06:03:01 AM »

I haven't tried lump either. In the SNS instructions it says to use briquettes.

I'd kind of be surprised if it didn't, since temp stability is the Slow n Sear's best selling point.

Personally, I favor the neutral flavor of lump in a low and slow charcoal smoking environment. Anyhow, just realize you don't need any gadgets to smoke low and slow on a kettle, whether it's with good lump or briquettes. I've smoked many a slab of ribs (usually three in a rib rack) with nothing but a water pan sitting on the grate over partially lit lump banked on one side of the kettle, with and without fire bricks. Did I have to adjust the vents any? You betcha, but as long as the lid and vent sweeper fit is good, it's highly doable. And back then I wasn't foiling, either.