Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for advice for a not-so-mechanically inclined member.  (Read 1147 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
I'm a complete dope with tools but going to try to add the molded black top vent to my SJ, and bend up the bottom SJ vent tabs and put in a bolt/knob handle.

A couple of questions for those of you have done it.

Will the bottom vent tabs bend up using a simple set of vice grips, or did you heat them up first and use some other type of tool?

Second question, how did you remove the original top vent on the SJ?

Thank you so much for any tips you could share.

I plan to upgrade the top vents on the line green SJ, and everyday OTG. Also add the levers to both SJs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Looking for advice for a not-so-mechanically inclined member.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 03:33:21 AM »
The vent will bend very easily with vice grips. Just wrap it with tape to prevent gouging it.

You will have to drill out the rivet to remove the whole vent. If the lid vent i in good condition, just pry the black plastic off of the new vent with a screwdriver and pop it on the old vent.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Looking for advice for a not-so-mechanically inclined member.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 04:16:23 AM »
Thanks @dwnthehatch

FWIW -  Here's how much it cost for three units

Item#   Description   Price   Qty   Amount
63070   Charcoal Grill Lid/Bowl Damper Kit   $9.25   3   $27.75
Subtotal:   $27.75
Standard Shipping:   $8.50
Sales Tax:   $0.00
Total Order:   $36.25

And the knobs on Amazon for a pack of five-
Davies Thermoset Tapered Knob, Smooth Rim, Threaded Hole, 1/4"-20 Thread Size X 3/8" Thread Length, 7/8" Diameter (Pack of 5)

Price:   $10.72 ($2.14 / knobs

I plan to use three of the knows.  Be happy to pay it forward if other members want one of the other two knows,  pm me and I'll ship them out once they come in.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM