Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Consumer Alert: Cowboy Lump  (Read 5538 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Consumer Alert: Cowboy Lump
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »
This is interesting.  I've only tried lump a few times and used Cowboy each time.  Maybe this is why I haven't jumped the KBB ship for the lump ship.  I'll have to try another brand out and see what I think.  Will have to track down who sells royal oak around here.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »
Walmart and Homedepot should both have royal oak.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 12:23:56 PM »

Thanks!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Consumer Alert: Cowboy Lump
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »
Hopefully I won't ruin this porterhouse I'm gonna grill but as you can guess from the smoke, a reverse sear with this COWBOY lump is out of the question. If it wasn't windy you might be able to tell better how bad it's smoking but believe me, it stinks and is not pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:32:17 PM by kettlecook »

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
That may have been me (Charrederhead) over at the Brethren singing the praises of Cowboy- and I stand by that praise.  :D

My stash was bought more than a year ago during a clearance (Lowe's?) and I used the last bag a couple of months ago. In the ~20 bags I bought, I found one small piece of foreign matter. (Forgot what it was).

They have a so-called "Southern" lump that I haven't tried.

Sad to see they've gone back to crap again.

My latest lump find is Pitmaster Lump. Pretty good stuff and is $9.99/18# bag.

I was in BJ's the other day and they had 34# bags of Frontier for $19.99.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:42:01 PM by charred »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »

Thanks!

Home Depot sells a nice big bag for a reasonable price.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »

Thanks!

Around me the home depot bags are twice the size for twice the price. Well you save about a quarter (vs two smaller bags at Walmart)

The smaller bags fit the performer charcoal bin so I usually buy them.

I don't think I am right but I feel like you get more medium/proper sizes pieces in the smaller bags too.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:30 PM »

Thanks!

Around me the home depot bags are twice the size for twice the price. Well you save about a quarter (vs two smaller bags at Walmart)

The smaller bags fit the performer charcoal bin so I usually buy them.

I don't think I am right but I feel like you get more medium/proper sizes pieces in the smaller bags too.

I think you might be on to something about the smaller bags of RO lump. We used to buy the big bags at Restaurant Depot and I'd pick each one up, tilt end to end, and try to pick out the one that "sounded the best". Well, I did the same with a couple of the small bags today at Walmart, and neither of them sounded like they had a lot of itty bitty pieces. I know it's hugely anecdotal, but maybe the smaller and lighter bags suffer less punishment in the shipping and handling?

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 07:18:12 AM »

That may have been me (Charrederhead) over at the Brethren singing the praises of Cowboy- and I stand by that praise.  :D

My stash was bought more than a year ago during a clearance (Lowe's?) and I used the last bag a couple of months ago. In the ~20 bags I bought, I found one small piece of foreign matter. (Forgot what it was).

They have a so-called "Southern" lump that I haven't tried.

Sad to see they've gone back to crap again.

My latest lump find is Pitmaster Lump. Pretty good stuff and is $9.99/18# bag.

I was in BJ's the other day and they had 34# bags of Frontier for $19.99.

The question is how the Cowboy "Southern Pride" compares to RO and others. I noticed it at Lowe's this morning.