Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Consumer Alert: Cowboy Lump  (Read 5537 times)

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Consumer Alert: Cowboy Lump
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »

So I'm sure to many of you, this isn't news. However, it's a sure thing now. Cowboy Charcoal Lump is back to it's old self. It's small pieces, and contains small scraps that appear to be from cabinets or flooring. It'll burn up QUICK, what doesn't fall through your grate. Ok, now carry on. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Consumer Alert: Cowboy Lump
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:44:47 PM »
Gross.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 04:37:49 PM »
I'm not gonna ride with that cowboy.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
Wow, hope that isn't pre-finished hardwood flooring!
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 05:35:57 PM »
Its obviously not...
But from the time I used it, it was still crap.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 06:42:56 PM »

Its obviously not...
But from the time I used it, it was still crap.

If I recall, maybe a couple years or more ago, someone on another forum posted that they didn't think Cowboy was as bad as everyone said it was with pics to prove it. Anyhow, I thought I'd give it another try since a local grocer sells 20 lb bags of it for twelve or thirteen bucks. (Whichever it is, it's still a buck cheaper than at Wallyworld.) So anyhow, I bought a few bags over the last couple years or so that were as good or better than Royal Oak. So the last bag was pretty bad but I didn't notice flooring in it...or maybe I did but was playing with my phone? [emoji5]

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »
I used to swear buy Cowboy charcoal.

It used to ROCK.
Then it turned to rocks and scrapwood. Literally every back was destroyed furniture and some rocks.
I found nails, rocks, and uncharred wood.
And then after a year or so, new cowboy charcoal was great again.
And then it went to crap.
And then it was great again.
Then it went to crap again.

Cowboy charcoal is a gamble. It's like they use whatever wood they can get for cheap.
Dear cowboy manufacturer - knock it off!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
Cowboy is owned by Duraflame. They also own Stubbs. http://www.duraflame.com/product-overview
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 09:17:45 PM »
I don't care if its scrapwood tbh. I mean, take the wood you would use... Mill it into baseboard shape then turn the scaps to coal and pass the savings on to me. Doesn't matter as long as its not pebble sized.

But the last bag I got smoked too much and the smoke smelled and tasted unpleasant. I live in a tight little area and while the neighbors have never complained having my charcoal burn clean is important to me... Plus I don't want to cook on a fire that smelled as bad as the cowboy did.

If you want to make baseboards out of quality hickory, save the larger scraps and turn them to coal for me... Well that is smart economical usage of materials and I support it. If it smells bad and burns bad... Well Ill be back to Royal Oak, who is pretty much always decent even if not amazing

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Consumer Alert: Cowboy Lump
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 04:37:14 AM »
Troy, I figured I wasn't the only one. So maybe we can change "pig in a poke" to "cowboy in a bag"? [emoji12]

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 04:40:34 AM »

I don't care if its scrapwood tbh. I mean, take the wood you would use... Mill it into baseboard shape then turn the scaps to coal and pass the savings on to me. Doesn't matter as long as its not pebble sized.

But the last bag I got smoked too much and the smoke smelled and tasted unpleasant. I live in a tight little area and while the neighbors have never complained having my charcoal burn clean is important to me... Plus I don't want to cook on a fire that smelled as bad as the cowboy did.

If you want to make baseboards out of quality hickory, save the larger scraps and turn them to coal for me... Well that is smart economical usage of materials and I support it. If it smells bad and burns bad... Well Ill be back to Royal Oak, who is pretty much always decent even if not amazing

I'm with you on the SMOKE. I had two chimneys of it going to grill up a bunch of catfish filets. You would've thought I lit a fire of unseasoned pecan in my smoker with the lid down!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 04:42:38 AM »
I bought 10 bags of Cowboy Charcoal at a local liquidation store that was closing.. $5 a bag...ended up giving most of it away because of this. Discovered a local store had their house brand lump that was made by Royal oak, so that's now my go to lump. I also use their briquettes.
Don't see me buying Cowboy again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 05:25:32 PM »
I am very frustrated with Cowboy, I bought some on sale some time ago and have been making my way through it.  I will be glad when it is all gone.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 07:54:48 AM »
I stick with the Royal Oak.  Very consistant.  Tried to warn our guys on previous posts.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 04:19:13 PM »

I stick with the Royal Oak.  Very consistant.  Tried to warn our guys on previous posts.

Yep.