Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber jumbo Joe grate issue?  (Read 1868 times)

anderson143

• Smokey Joe
Weber jumbo Joe grate issue?
« on: February 17, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »
Found a jumbo joe on the curb today (Lid vent is a "DR") cooking grate from my 18 1/2 OTS is just a little too small...assuming Weber changed the size of the grate at some point ...where do I find the correct cooking grate???mods? Grate can be cleaned up and used as is but I was wanting a new one also I seen a review that says due to the position of the vents it wasn't a good grill(adjustable ears/tabs higher on the kettle vs the standard vents on lower part of kettle) confused never heard of a bad Weber?
NO PROPANE OR CRAP LIGHT HERE...22 1/2 OTG & 18 1/2 WSM

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber jumbo Joe grate issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »
The jumbo joe has a different diameter grate and part number. It's not a BAD cooker but it's better suited for low and medium heat cooks. An 18.5" is more versatile and readily available so members chop them down to create a more portable standing grill.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:02:47 PM »
I had a newer jumbo joe (2015?) so ymmv... but I never had a problem getting that thing PLENTY hot, especially considering that the standard weber charcoal baskets fit with only a couple of mm gap to the grate, so a full basket means your food is almost sitting on the coals. That always worked great for me.

As far as size... I have always read that the cooking grate was the same size, and have seen people referencing using the standard 18.5 grate to get the flip up sides or using the craycort. I have seen mentioned that there is enough variance that occasionally the grate wont fit but no first hand knowledge on either of these points.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »
I had a newer jumbo joe (2015?) so ymmv... but I never had a problem getting that thing PLENTY hot, especially considering that the standard weber charcoal baskets fit with only a couple of mm gap to the grate, so a full basket means your food is almost sitting on the coals. That always worked great for me.

As far as size... I have always read that the cooking grate was the same size, and have seen people referencing using the standard 18.5 grate to get the flip up sides or using the craycort. I have seen mentioned that there is enough variance that occasionally the grate wont fit but no first hand knowledge on either of these points.

Anderson has the original jumbo joe or smokey joe platinum which has the vents on the sides like a smokey joe gold.  I always have been bothered by the fact that the grates were a unique size but I guess they figured it would be cheaper to make a different grate rather than a different lid than the OTS / OTG.  I wonder how long they will continue to sell the jumbo joe grates, at some point they will stop.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
70605 is the part number for the grate.
there's a few places that have it online, Weber should have it too.

anderson143

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 06:43:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for the information... I think I will call the best customer service department aka Weber in the AM ...so I'm a fan of Weber grills but im really a fan of there customer service has anyone ever had a bad experience? I know I havnt
NO PROPANE OR CRAP LIGHT HERE...22 1/2 OTG & 18 1/2 WSM