Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Possible cast iron replacment for rotisserie drip pans  (Read 353 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Possible cast iron replacment for rotisserie drip pans
« on: May 10, 2023, 09:05:37 AM »
I don't think I've posted a rotisserie chicken cook in quite a while but I'm sure many of you know I like roasting potatoes in the drip pan beneath the chicken while it spins, and that I've been unhappy with the various different aluminum drip pans I've been using ever since Weber discontinued the ones specifically designed to match the length of the rotisserie at charcoal grate width inside a 22" kettle.

I bought a Lodge 9x13 cast iron baking/casserole pan at the Bass Pro Shop down the road in Niagara a while ago with the idea of using it to roast vegetables once the summer cook everything outdoors season starts up.  I had some potatoes on hand and had a craving for rotisserie chicken with trying out a different rub from usual on it, and I was eyeballing the cast iron pan thinking it might work instead of an aluminum one.  I did a test fit this morning to see if the charcoal baskets and cast iron pan would fit inside a 22 inch kettle:

This looks like it'll work.  I've got a chicken cooking with potatoes in the cast iron now.  If it turns out well, it looks like there's a good chance this'll be a viable replacement for the discontinued Weber pans.

Edit:

This is the pan I'm using:

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/seasoned-cast-iron-casserole?sku=BW13C

It looks like it's on sale for $5 off in the United States right now.  It also looks like Bass Pro is seriously gouging here for it though.  They're charging one hell of a markup beyond what the exchange rate accounts for.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 09:08:43 AM by Lightning »

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
Re: Possible cast iron replacment for rotisserie drip pans
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 10:11:02 AM »
I'm using an ally pizza plate that came as part of the C.B. stacker smoker with a "Caldero" sitting on it.
"Caldero" is a South American "shallow saucepan"/ stock pot, with a pair of handles & they come in many sizes.
I started using either/or, but found the "double bottom" created by using them together is perfect for the job.
The one I bought has a lid that's oven-safe too but I never use the lid anyway.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 10:38:14 AM »
Wow, that looks perfect...

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 02:33:07 PM »
Can't wait to see the result !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 03:08:45 AM »
Wow, that looks perfect...
next time your near South Pittsburg drop in and see if they have any factory seconds of that model, I love shopping in that store.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 07:33:01 AM »

It worked beautifully.  I think we have a winner.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 10:39:21 AM »
that's awesome !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »
Nice, sweet looking setup!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 02:43:16 PM »
Yeah . . . that works ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine