Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM Question Regarding Modifying the Middle for a Rotisserie  (Read 10358 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
WSM Question Regarding Modifying the Middle for a Rotisserie
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
I bought a Weber Kettle Rotisserie recently. As you know, it won't fit on the WSM. I have an extra WSM middle section and was thinking about cutting grooves in it and modifying it so I can use the Kettle rotisserie kit on it. However, I am concerned that if I cut the grooves it will affect the WSM's ability to hold and maintain temps. Any thoughts?  Has anyone done a similar mod and if so how did it affect the WSM's performance, whether using the rotisserie or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM Question Regarding Modifying the Middle for a Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
I have had my roti for about two months now and love it.  I love it so much it is permenantly attached to a kettle using the two screws and holes that came with the roti.  Yes I had to drill a couple holes in a kettle but this way I don't have to find a shelf for it, no worry of it slipping off the kettle in a cook.  I do not have a wsm but in my opinion since you can get a used kettle for much cheaper then a wsm I would pick up a used kettle and do what I did.  You won't regret it plus I think you'll end up using it more due to less hassle. 

My .02.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
@lumpy coal - thanks for the input. I actually have a kettle that I am using the rotisserie on. However, I also have a WSM and was just trying to think of ways I could use the rotisserie on the WSM.

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »
If I had an extra middle section I would give it a try. I don't think you will have any problems and if you do, there are ways to plug up the holes you put in.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 06:55:51 PM »
May be worth giving it a shot. I just hate to do anything that could cause permanent damage.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »
I bought a Weber Kettle Rotisserie recently. As you know, it won't fit on the WSM. I have an extra WSM middle section and was thinking about cutting grooves in it and modifying it so I can use the Kettle rotisserie kit on it. However, I am concerned that if I cut the grooves it will affect the WSM's ability to hold and maintain temps. Any thoughts?  Has anyone done a similar mod and if so how did it affect the WSM's performance, whether using the rotisserie or not?

@swamprb
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 03:12:00 AM »
If you have an extra center section I say make a WSM rotisserie and go for it! I did and never looked back (until I got the Cajun Bandit rings!)  Keep the ring for your kettle-you can never have TOO MANY rotisseries!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:16:34 AM »
Personally I don't understand the ribolator especially in cases where there is not real direct heat.

Roto a chicken or turkey with a basket on one side of the kettle makes sense to me, this, not so much.  Not being critical, just observing and asking.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 04:30:57 AM »

If you have an extra center section I say make a WSM rotisserie and go for it! I did and never looked back (until I got the Cajun Bandit rings!)  Keep the ring for your kettle-you can never have TOO MANY rotisseries!

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. How does the WSM work when you aren't using the rotisserie. Does it still hold temp as well with the holes cut? Any negative effects?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 04:57:53 AM »
Personally I don't understand the ribolator especially in cases where there is not real direct heat.

Roto a chicken or turkey with a basket on one side of the kettle makes sense to me, this, not so much.  Not being critical, just observing and asking.

I use the ROL and all my other rigs direct on Drums, its my preferred method to roll.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 05:15:49 AM »

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. How does the WSM work when you aren't using the rotisserie. Does it still hold temp as well with the holes cut? Any negative effects?

I was only using it as a rotisserie ring. I usually went for grilling temps, but 275* was easy to maintain. And I was cooking indirect with the pan.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:18:47 AM by swamprb »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 09:29:51 AM »
I have a Cajun Bandit ring that can be used on the kettle or flipped for the WSM or you can just get the WSM ring.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »
@tb80, if I had the extra center section, I'd probably go ahead and set it up like @swamprb (nice setup, BTW!) has his.

Don't worry, a couple of holes here or there should not be a problem.  Even it they became a problem, you could easily get a couple of small pieces of sheet metal that you could put together with wingnuts to cover the holes.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »

I have a Cajun Bandit ring that can be used on the kettle or flipped for the WSM or you can just get the WSM ring.
How do you like it? I am considering getting one. Is the motor and spit up to par with the weber version?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »

How do you like it? I am considering getting one. Is the motor and spit up to par with the weber version?

When you order the reversible Cajun Bandit Ring get an extra motor mount so you can have 2, one for kettles and the other for WSM's on the same ring-no muss, no fuss!

It is far and away a much better quality ring than the Weber's!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:20:51 PM by swamprb »