Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Doing first WSM smoke tomorrow  (Read 8655 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Doing first WSM smoke tomorrow
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
I recently purchased a WSM to increases my smoking capacity from my 26 and 22 kettles; quite frankly it will be easier too..just one machine to operate while freeing up grilling space.

I will be doing a small picnic, spare ribs and whole chicken. I figure loading her up for the first cook was the only way to.

I didn't do any seasoning or burning off manufactor's dust, rather I'll just let the cooker warm up for an hour or so before putting any meat on.

Cook pics to follow  8)

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Re: Doing first WSM smoke tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »
No need to season a WSM. Just fire it up like you said and burn the dust and other stuff off and cook on. Looking forward to your piks. I don't know how you plan to put the meat on, but just remember not to put the chicken on top dripping raw juices on ready to eat ribs or pork shoulder.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »
... just remember not to put the chicken on top dripping raw juices on ready to eat ribs or pork shoulder.

How else do you do it if they're both cooking at the same time?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
No need to season a WSM. Just fire it up like you said and burn the dust and other stuff off and cook on. Looking forward to your piks. I don't know how you plan to put the meat on, but just remember not to put the chicken on top dripping raw juices on ready to eat ribs or pork shoulder.

Edit: never mind, you said "ready to eat"
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
Can't wait to see how it turns out.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »
Although much earlier today; just about up to temp:

The candidates: spares, country style ribs for pork burnt ends (aka butt nuggets), small picnic for lunch during the week.

I'll be throwing a spatchcocked chicken on later.

I had the confidence to leave the house for a couple hours so hopefully temps are good right now  :D

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 11:12:40 AM »
Looks great!!!  Would like to get your final opinion on kettle smoking to WSM smoking. This might be the year I finally grab a WSM.
BTW, I'm jealous. Especially of the nice green grass in the background. Just chipped 2" layer of ice off the patio, since it's a toasty 44 degrees today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
I want to know more about the butt nuggets. lol. Make sure you use enough wood for smoke. I usually have to use a lot more wood in my WSM then my kettle.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »
I'm happy to report the WSM did great, managing temps was very simple. I was able to leave the cooker alone for a couple hours while running errands, was still at temp when i got home.

I didn't wrap anything or use water in the pan which provided great bark.

Finished pics:

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »
Looks great!!!  Would like to get your final opinion on kettle smoking to WSM smoking. This might be the year I finally grab a WSM.
BTW, I'm jealous. Especially of the nice green grass in the background. Just chipped 2" layer of ice off the patio, since it's a toasty 44 degrees today.

I think smoking on the WSM was easier than the kettle for a few reasons:

1) Using the minon method in the WSM compared to running a snake in the kettle saved quite a bit of time.
2) I didn't need to worry about rotating the grate.
3) Temp management was much much easier. I can keep a consitent temp in the kettle it just takes more frequent adjusting.
4) Cook capacity: amount of food and amount of fuel (no need to reload in WSM).

Not to rub it in, but I was wearing shorts, t-shirt, and sandals  8)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
Nice first run. Everything looks great.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
I want to know more about the butt nuggets. lol. Make sure you use enough wood for smoke. I usually have to use a lot more wood in my WSM then my kettle.

I was unsure how much wood to use, I estimate a total of 7-8 wood chunks were placed in the charcoal basket. Everything came out great so I guess that's adequate.

The butt nuggets were just country style ribs I smoked till probe tender and make pork burnt ends. They're great party food, easy to eat, and damn good. Plus the name is fun  :P

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 05:57:05 PM »
First wsm smoke...brings back fond memories...great decision on the wsm...at this point i just pour charcoal into the ring..dig out a narrow hole in the middle and pour 8-10 lit coals into the middle..i find it gives me the same results with less prep time.

Congrats
Grills

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
Going to have to give these butt nuggets a try next weekend.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 06:50:45 PM »

Not to rub it in, but I was wearing shorts, t-shirt, and sandals  8)
If the sun was out, that might have been my wardrobe as well. Temp felt nice enough that I grilled bacon cheddar burgers, green pepper & mozzarella brats, and fresh Kielbasa. Went with potato salad, cole slaw, and pico for sides. My little January homage to summer.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞