Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pecan Wood?  (Read 7941 times)

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
Re: Pecan Wood?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
I wonder if cow farts smell like chocolate milk?  I did a quick Google search and it looks like the 'wood dust' related cancer was from exposure to sawdust and wood dust on the job at a sawmill. Found to be about 50% more at risk.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 01:05:21 PM »
I wonder if cow farts smell like chocolate milk?  I did a quick Google search and it looks like the 'wood dust' related cancer was from exposure to sawdust and wood dust on the job at a sawmill. Found to be about 50% more at risk.

That makes sense.  The issue is with inhaling wood dust, not from actually burning it.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

I wonder if cow farts smell like chocolate milk?

Sh!t, seems like a WKC scientific experiment should be in order. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »
It was chunks!  I never do chips.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 03:08:20 PM »

It was chunks!  I never do chips.
Thanks for the heads-up. Grabbed two bags on lunch break. I'm good until May. $4.88 for 570cu.ft. (6x the Weber bag) from Western Premium BBQ Products.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 03:14:47 PM »
Stopping there this weekend.  Thanks for the tip!

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »
Not a big fan on the Weber chunks. Burn too fast and seem really dried out. Get all my wood from fruita wood in Colorado. Excellent products and customer service. Cut fresh when ordered too.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 04:55:55 AM »
I saw this stuff last weekend after spending $20 at Lowes on some wood chunks. Let us know how it is!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Pecan Wood?
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 05:51:28 AM »
Pecan produces the mildest smoke of the hickory family, and goes with anything. It also burns at lower temps than oaks or other hickories. I've brought back several loads from my parents place in MS, and it's only negative is that it can be quite knotty and crooked grain, which makes for harder splitting (like the piece below) and a little tougher to get thin blue smoke. So I would HIGHLY recommend already cut and kiln dried pecan.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
Pecan produces the mildest smoke of the hickory family, and goes with anything. It also burns at lower temps than oaks or other hickories. I've brought back several loads from my parents place in MS, and it's only negative is that it can be quite knotty and crooked grain, which makes for harder splitting (like the piece below) and a little tougher to get thin blue smoke. So I would HIGHLY recommend already cut and kiln dried pecan.

Thanks for the pic.......that Meathead guy has a blurb about wood that talks about the climate & soil being pretty important as to how trees grow & how the wood turns out...here, sacramento (most trees per square area of any city in the world except Paris) they grow like weeds & are real straight & true, the nuts rot before you can get any good ones & if they don't get curtailed, will crack concrete or foundations they are growing next to........wood's OK for smoking, but there's oak all over the place too & apple that can be had for cheap & free......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 01:45:27 PM »
Love pecan on beef and pork it plays well with oak. Definitly works best as a compliment to other woods over using it alone. Great score enjoy !
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
I'm with AFH on this one. Works great with oak. Did some beef jerky a while back and that combo was a big winner.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »
Here's the pecan that is at Walmart:

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 02:21:34 AM »
I lOVE pecan!!!  I have bags of hickory, pecan, and apple, and more times than not, I run out of the pecan before I do the other two. 

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 06:28:28 AM »
Like the idea of pecan wood but I don't want to get a whole bag and then realize I do not like it.  There are a lot of pecan trees in Arizona.  I see if I can get some trimmings.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson