Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What is the best size vortex for 22" kettle  (Read 4180 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
What is the best size vortex for 22" kettle
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »
Santa did not bring a vortex, so I am picking up the slack. What is the ideal size for a 22" kettle?

I would like to do the "ring of wings" I see often posted here and use to reverse sear some steaks. As well as some other cooks. Any feedback is welcome.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Normal_J_Bird

• WKC Brave
Re: What is the best size vortex for 22" kettle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
Santa brought me a S. Have made a couple batches of wings and wish I had the M. The S will get the job done but the extra $4 is worth it. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 06:24:09 AM »
I have a medium and I have no complaints.  It leaves plenty of room for the ring-o-wings, and give a large enough hot zone for searing.  I think the small might not give a big enough hot zone for searing larger items.  I'm also not sure if the small one would give you enough room to do a beer can chicken (if you do chicken that way instead of spatchcocking) using the vortex with the small end down.  I think the small would probably work fine for wings and give you a little more room to do two rings-o-wings, but not sure if you could do two batches or not.  If you have the gourmet grate system the vortex is really easy to add coals to!  I also think removing the center grate saves a lot of wear and tear from the super high heat of the vortex.  If you have a grate over the vortex when it is really cranking it will red the grate red hot!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:09:11 AM »
The medium Vortex is perfect for a 22.5" kettle. It also works very well in a 26.75".
The large will not fit in any Weber kettles, it is too tall to fit between the charcoal and cooking grates.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 07:25:05 AM »
I've got the medium and it works great in the 22. Plenty of room for wings and then just last week I flipped over it over to do a low and slow pork butt. Like using a snake, but didn't have to build it. Plenty of room for a nine pound butt. I wonder how much room would be available on the small.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
Ok medium it is. Thanks all.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 05:37:20 PM »
If it's important to you, the M may not fit in an 18". It is too tall. The S will get the job done in either kettle.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
I like my small on the 22. Gets the job done and still leaves plenty of real estate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »
No shortage of real estate using the medium in the 22.5"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk