Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM need  (Read 5312 times)

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
WSM need
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
Ok I know I'm opening a real can of worms but I'm just wondering where people stand.

So, I've started eyeing up WSMs, more to the point the 18.5wsm.   Problem is I'm not sure I really need one. I wanted a wsm so i did this stacker mod:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=18456.0
which I really like but I'm wondering if an 18.5wsm would be that much better. 

Cons of the stacker: adding/checking coal an be a bit of a bother.  Feel 18.5 would be a bit more efficient. 

How many of you don't have a wsm and really feel they don't need one?  Maybe you wouldn't use it enough. Maybe your stacker does what you need.  Or maybe your kettle does what you need. 

Just looking to chew the fat on this one.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: WSM need
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:44:16 PM »
It's a Weber so just get it. You'll be happy.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »
Lol.  I know I will. I'm not sure it's worth the $400 to me right now.  Let's face it, one of the great reasons we love kettles is we can use it as a smoker.   

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 01:05:31 AM »
Just wait till you find a good one on Craigslist then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 04:20:00 AM »
I have an 18.5 WSM and I'm thinking about selling it. I can smoke on my kettle pretty darn well. And I don't need tons of real estate, which the 18.5 doesn't really provide anyway. The big difference to me seems to be when you open the lid of the WSM you lose your heat, but your coals aren't greatly affected. When you open the lid of your kettle, you lose your heat, and your coals get a rush of oxygen and start burning a little faster than you might like. Soooo, keep the lid closed and smoke away. WSMs are expensive, kettles are cheap. I did some pulled pork on a free kettle the other day, tasted just as great as on the $300 WSM.
Growing family = growing kettles!

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »
Interesting.  Ya I'm not sure if I really need one.  I know I don't do cooks where I need a huge amount of space except for maybe a turkey.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »
User market or Hit up your walmart right now and see if they have one in stock. If they do, say you keep reading about people buying them at the end of the season for $100. Tell them you would be very interested at that price, but not much more and see if they have room to discount.  My 14.5 was $120 brand new and from what I have heard plenty have done better. The lady I bought it from told me a year or two ago they had 18s and let them go at the same price.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »
I have followed your modification since you first posted it. I think it is a great idea. Looking at your pics, it sure seems to work well!

How even are the Temps across the grate?
How long of a burn can you get from a load of charcoal?

If you are happy with the answers to these questions, then a WSM won't change your life.

I have my new 14.5" WSM, a used 18.5" WSM  and a used 22.5" Cajun Bandit conversion. I don't need any of them, but I like playing with them!

$0.02
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 07:16:36 AM »
I've been going through the same thought process recently.  Check out this thread for some great information:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/kettle-v-wsm-usage/

In the end, I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used WSM and in the mean time I'll keep smoking on the kettle.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
I have the 18.5 WSM and the 22.5 WSM as well as a homemade mini WSM as well as several kettles.  I use my kettles much more frequently than the WSMs.  I generally only use my WSMs if I am cooking a lot of meat or will be cooking for longer than 3-5 hours.  For example, if I am just doing a single chicken or one or two racks of ribs I will use the kettle just because it is easier for me to set up and get going.  However, if I am doing a pork butt or brisket I generally will use one of the WSMs.  Do I absolutely NEED the WSM? No. But  I really enjoy using it when I pull it out and it works great. 

I would wait until you can find one on CL.  I have paid from $75 - $125 for WSMs so you should be able to find a good price for one.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
I pretty much agree with tb80.  I cook on my kettle 2, 3, 4 time a week.  Outside of competitions, I cook on my WSM 4-6 times a year.  But, when you need that much space, it's great to have it. 

Another option would be a Smoke EZ or Cajun Bandit Stacker, but one for your kettle is probably more than a used 18.5 WSM.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
@Lumpy Coal I didn't read through your mod thread there but that setup looks badass. But I don't know how anyone could "compare" that to something else.

These guys are right, if you can't see a clear use for it don't buy new; just be patient for a craigslist WSM. And I'd wager that the 18.5" size will remain the most popular used WSM because for years it's been the most popular new WSM. The 22 costs more and the 14 has been mostly unavailable until recently. So supply should be good.

Family of four here, and no big parties, so my 18.5" rarely gets used. Any normal smoke job and my 22 kettle gets the nod. But I paid $100 so could afford the luxury. Found another later for $40, no that's not typical, but snatched it and gave it away.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 12:37:17 AM »
Great input guys. Thanks. It'll be a while until I get one if at all so lots of time to search for used. 

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 04:50:54 AM »
I am prob the only one who say this but I use my WSM more then I use my kettles. I bought a used WSM 18.5 on Craigslist for $80. I prefer to cook whole chickens, wings, ABT's etc on the WSM. I do use my kettles but mostly for chicken breasts, burgers, steaks etc.
I have modded the WSM a little but and have it so dialed in I can keep that thing within 5 degrees of my target temp for hours. I can keep a more steady temp on my WSM compared to my kettles.  In my opinion they each serve a purpose and I wouldn't get rid of my kettles or WSM.
Hotty Toddy!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »
@Lumpy Coal,  I found a 2002 18.5" WSM on CL last year.  So far I've only cooked on it 15-20 times, so very new.  My observations; GREAT for loooooong cooks, holds very stable temperatures, easy setup (if you just fill the coal ring full every time (on the unburnt old coal) and put the lit starter coals in a crater in the center), and SO FAR it has turned out as-good-or-better food than any of my many kettles (see the turkey pic from last T-day).   That all being said; I will always be a kettle guy for most of my cooks   ...   I can't image, now, why every KettleHead doesn't have both ???                                  SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".