Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer Advice  (Read 6731 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Performer Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »
They are both Gen 1. I think $100 would be fair it all depends on condition, if it's in really good condition you could go higher. Judge the condition first then make an offer, if the gas doesn't work or it's out make a lower offer.  A fair price what you are willing to pay and what the seller will take.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 02:11:06 AM »
I have been seeing right many Performers lately but just not the SS ones.  I like the SS better than the others.  The seller for the green one seems to want to move it where the other seller is not responding. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 03:13:22 AM »
Gen1 performers vary a lot by us region.  Also depends if the seller knows the value..especially discontinued color kettle colors..ie. redhead.  Hands down one of the most popular gen1 colors for a weber collector.

2nd factor is the condition of the kettle...i dont view the frame as important.
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 03:16:11 AM »
Frame condition will vary as well..some will need work and that is what it is for a discontinued model.
You may want to consider buying more than 1.
If you are new to gen1 models..some of the parts are discontinued and you can only source them in the used market
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:58:14 AM by toolhead »
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 03:18:44 AM »
Ie..discontinued frame parts: wire rack , charcoal bucket, metal lighter instruction plate...tank assembly bracket, old style ash bucket and ash ring, ash catcher bar, 7409 ash sweep...to name a few discontinued parts...some frame parts are still available but very very expensive to buy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:56:13 AM by toolhead »
Grills

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 12:17:04 PM »
That green one appears to be in pretty good condition judging by the pictures. If I were you I'd go check it out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 02:51:26 PM »
Awesome thanks @toolhead for the info

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »
... Are they worth $100 or more? That is a question for the ages! In areas where Performers were very popular and there are plenty of used ones for sale $100 may be high. If you don't often see them on your local Craigslist, then a clean and sturdy example may be worth more. ...

That's how I feel also. Know your market, and how the relative frequency a certain type you may be interested in becomes available.

OR

Approach it more diplomatically, knowing that a new Performer is ~$350, so anything less than that is a good deal. And sleep well ... IMO only the most ardent collectors need to watch the bottom line because they'd presumably be buying often.

I paid $125, or was it $150? for my '92 red Performer with the proper cover. That's either low or high depending on your point of view, but I've only seen a couple other red Performers come online in my area. Then again, both grates, the ashcan hangar bar and the old wire charcoal baskets were shot, the tank was empty, and it needed a regulator. And I didn't care.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
Awesome thanks @toolhead for the info

Brother toolhead speaks the truth but I feel a little perspective may be in order regarding the hard-to-find original parts for the SS Performers.

charcoal bucket, metal lighter instruction plate...tank assembly bracket

I don't know that these really "go bad" often. The SS used a 5lb tank, which is expensive ($50-ish if you need to get one) compared to how much gas it can hold. So if you'd wind up using a 10 or 20b tank and another hose ... its bracket isn't an issue anyway.

I'm using the tank my '92 came to me with, an '01 I think ... when refilling, my local ACE hardware doesn't seem to care it's expired although I have to tell the counter gal it's a "4lb tank" because a "BBQ tank" gets priced as a 20lb tank. I did also change out the old connector for the modern "acme nut" style.

old style ash bucket and ash ring, ash catcher bar, 7409 ash sweep

There's a lot of info about these parts on this site. I bought a reproduction (aluminum) bar for the 7409-style sweeps form zavod44 but after about a year or so traded the entire assembly for the newest style ash can and "H" ash sweeps. In my opinion the "H" sweeps are superior because it just fits together; there's no attachment/adjustment bolt. The current or last-gen ashcan ring can attach to the oldest One Touch models with either radiator hose clamps or screws into the leg sockets, and (again, IMO) supports the ashcan more securely than the old setup ever could.

Point being, new parts can be adapted to work, and work better, so don't fret the common parts not being available for SS. The frame on the other hand might need some work if rusty. There's info here about that as well, bicycle frame star nuts or some such I think.

Edit: The hose that goes from the regular to burner tube is expensive now from Weber, available only as a complete assembly with other parts not usually needed. That said, its another part that doesn't usually need replacing. The regulator, of course more commonly needing replacement, can be swapped out with a Mr Heater from Amazon for less than $15 for example.

So pick what you want, we can get 'er going! If you're tall, consider the newer styles (not SS) because those machines are a little higher. Not sure if that was mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:38:20 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
... Are they worth $100 or more? That is a question for the ages! In areas where Performers were very popular and there are plenty of used ones for sale $100 may be high. If you don't often see them on your local Craigslist, then a clean and sturdy example may be worth more. ...

That's how I feel also. Know your market, and how the relative frequency a certain type you may be interested in becomes available.

OR

Approach it more diplomatically, knowing that a new Performer is ~$350, so anything less than that is a good deal. And sleep well ... IMO only the most ardent collectors need to watch the bottom line because they'd presumably be buying often.

I paid $125, or was it $150? for my '92 red Performer with the proper cover. That's either low or high depending on your point of view, but I've only seen a couple other red Performers come online in my area. Then again, both grates, the ashcan hangar bar and the old wire charcoal baskets were shot, the tank was empty, and it needed a regulator. And I didn't care.

pretty much the boat I was in on all counts. weber stuff doesn't come up often where I am, much less what I wanted(copper gas-assist performer). after well over a year of looking, I finally saw one for a fair price in good shape and had the cash(thanks to Christmas money). decided to get it and didn't even try to haggle. it was what I wanted and I had the funds for it, so I bought it. aside from new grates, all it needs is bale rollers and washers/nuts and the gas assist system to be hooked up(previous owner never completed that part of the assembly). if it helps, I paid $175. it's more than I wanted to pay, but, all things considered(market, condition, color....etc) I felt it was a fair price and am happy that I finally have a copper gas-assist performer.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »
Buying a ss performer ? Make sure you have a dremel with accessories handy...sanding drums /fiberglass cutting discs and grinding stones..all set.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:03:30 PM by toolhead »
Grills

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 02:32:06 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke  Thanks a lot man for all the info.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 04:55:14 AM »
The Gen 1 performer is similar to a classic car compared to a new one. If you put a few bucks into the classic it'll outlast the new one. You can get a old one made out of American made steel parts or you can buy a new one made out of Chinese exhaust pipe and recycled plastic.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 05:30:02 PM »
Not sure how close this is to you, but appears to be a good deal.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Webber-performer-premuim-22-charcole-grill-w-gas-starter-and-cover-rearly-used-/172060343565?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »
This *thumbs up*

The Gen 1 performer is similar to a classic car compared to a new one. If you put a few bucks into the classic it'll outlast the new one. You can get a old one made out of American made steel parts or you can buy a new one made out of Chinese exhaust pipe and recycled plastic.
Grills