Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Behold! The Swineapple  (Read 1932 times)

cjm7171

• Smokey Joe
Behold! The Swineapple
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:13:17 AM »

Forgive me my brothers...it has been way too long since I've visited the WKC Forum.  Yesterday, I decided to have some fun and take advantage of this mild Michigan weather.  I made a Swineapple. 

1. Trimmed and rubbed a pork loin with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and brown sugar

2. Stuffed it inside of two cored pineapples

3. Wrapped it in bacon

4. Slow smoked it over orange and cherry wood using the snake method (my favorite way to cook...that I learned right here in the forum)

The meat was delicious.  I have another loin left over.  I think I'm going to try another one, but this time I'll butterfly the loin and put the pineapple inside.

It took about 3 hours to cook.  The snake made it half way around to the 2nd pile of orange chips.  I had the bottom vents wide open. 

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Behold! The Swineapple
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
I love the name, and it looks great! Throw up a sliced pic if you get a chance!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »
And I though I'd tried everything on the kettle.   Swineapple, I love it :)   Never done one, got to make it happen.  Possibly with Char Siu marinade ???                           SJ

Thanks for the great pics of a very interesting cook ......
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:22:21 PM »
Wow! Just wow.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:32:25 PM »
That looks great!

How did the Orange wood work out? I think I remember reading long ago to stay away from citrus woods, but obviously they sell it, so...

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 02:29:46 PM »
You had me at swineapple. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
I tried the swineapple over the summer. 
Mine didn't turn out very well though, the pineapple and bacon got weird.

I may have to try this again

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cjm7171

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 07:37:41 AM »
There were two pork loins in the package, so I did the second one differently.  This time, I stuffed the loin with pineapple, rubbed it, and then wrapped in bacon and smoked it.  My bacon didn't crisp up as much as I would have liked it to this time, but  the meat was delicious.  My final verdict is I think I would do the meat in the pineapple with the bacon around it, but I wouldn't smoke it.  I think I would just cook it with charcoal.  I thought the original pineapple soaked up too much smoke and didn't taste good.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
It looks good and that recipe makes good tasting food.

You can make it better by knowing the acid and enzymes in the pineapple will mushify the meat if its given more than a couple hours time to cook or marinade. Tenderloin cooks best H&F since it dont have the fat or collagen that the cheaper cuts have, it only benefits from the extra smoke flavor when done L&S.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need