Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you replace the lid damper?  (Read 5530 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
How do you replace the lid damper?
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:35:34 AM »
I bought a performer last week that was in pretty rough shape but can be saved.  The lid damper handle was completely flattened and mangled.  Under the damper is packed with grease that I need to get to as well.  So my question is what is the best way to remove the stock damper?

I have a replacement but did not want to just attack it without some advice from someone who has done this before. 

Thanks!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: How do you replace the lid damper?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
Do you have a pic of the damper handle?  Being thin aluminum, you could possibly reshape. As long as it wasn't reshaped before, it should lift back up w/o cracking at the bend. Lift back into position w/ flat screwdriver (or small prybar). Then use a piece of wood (or small piece flat steel) on each side of it & clamp tightly. Should look normal afterward.

If that won't work & you have to replace, drill the end off the rivet from inside the lid. Will pop right off with no porcelain damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:36:47 AM »
Do you have a pic of the damper handle?  Being thin aluminum, you could possibly reshape. As long as it wasn't reshaped before, it should lift back up w/o cracking at the bend. Lift back into position w/ flat screwdriver (or small prybar). Then use a piece of wood (or small piece flat steel) on each side of it & clamp tightly. Should look normal afterward.

If that won't work & you have to replace, drill the end off the rivet from inside the lid. Will pop right off with no porcelain damage.

I bent it back up, it was folded over on each corner and totally chewed up.  I have no idea what could have happened to it cause the lid is in fine shape.  Looks like it got ran over by a lawn mower and then smashed down.  Was going to ask the guy but he was not the chatty type, so I paid and left.

I thought the drill was the best way to go but just wanted to check first.

Thanks.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:48:34 AM »

I bent it back up, it was folded over on each corner and totally chewed up.  I have no idea what could have happened to it cause the lid is in fine shape.  Looks like it got ran over by a lawn mower and then smashed down.  Was going to ask the guy but he was not the chatty type, so I paid and left.

I thought the drill was the best way to go but just wanted to check first.

Thanks.

Sometimes it's better to deal with the ones who aren't chatty, instead of the overly chatty ones. They may have a good story, but then there are the ones who creep you out with their stories.

Just like the wife says, "drill away".

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »
Here is what I have done in the past when I drilled into the lid vents of my gone but not forgotten 18" WSM's to install thermos in the vent.

Set the lid vent side down so the head of the rivet rests on a piece or rubber or hose and slowly drill the crimped part of the rivet can be removed. The rubber will help keep the rivet from turning. Don't drill completely through, just enough that you can lightly punch the rivet loose. Straighten or replace the vent with the supplied hardware.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »
@swamprb that's great.  Thanks for advice, I will try a piece of rubber. Thanks a lot!