Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs, Snake, and end BBQ'ing Question  (Read 1179 times)

choynes

• Smokey Joe
Baby Back Ribs, Snake, and end BBQ'ing Question
« on: December 26, 2015, 09:05:19 AM »
My daughter who is in the Navy gets here this week, and she is begging me to do my famous BBQ ribs. In the past I used a gas grill, slow cooked them, then turned the heat up last 20 minutes to bast on the BBQ sauce (family doctored recipe).

Now I'm using my new Kettle and want to use the snake method. I've already used it with great results on 2 briskets.

Question, if I use the snake method, how to I spike the temp at the end to bast on the BBQ sauce?

/r
Chip
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:14:55 PM by choynes »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Baby Back Ribs, Snake, and end BBQ'ing Questio
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »
You can just add a half chimney of hot coals when you are ready for the night heat.  Add the coals, leave the lid off for a few minutes to really get it going then make sure you have the top and bottom vents wide open for finishing the ribs. If you don't have a chimney you should be able to add coals to the hot par of your snake and just give it a little while to get going.  Third option is to make your snake get bigger towards the end.  This is a little tricky to setup so it gets to the larger section at the right time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Baby Back Ribs, Snake, and end BBQ'ing Questio
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »
Have a big and small Weber to fire the proper amount of coals and add em' live.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

choynes

• Smokey Joe
Re: Baby Back Ribs, Snake, and end BBQ'ing Question
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 05:15:02 PM »
Thats what I was thinking, add half a chimney of coals, just wanted to see if others had any luck with that. I have the grate with the flip up sides but they are not optimal for this, wish it flipped up half way.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
You're going to have to rotate the grate a couple times throught the cook anyway. Just position one of the openings over the hot part of the snake, when you're ready to finish. 
Still need a 22” yellow

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 02:09:55 PM »
@choynes   I use two 22.5" kettles for this kind of maneuver.  Twenty minutes or so until the L&S is finished, I start the second kettle for the HighHeat portion of the cook.  I just leave the cooking grate off of the 2nd kettle and simply transfer the ribs to the hot coals.   Hummmm, I wonder if that is part of the reason I have so many cooking kettles ???                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".