Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This made me cringe  (Read 3581 times)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: This made me cringe
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 07:25:44 AM »
Actually, I have to give him props for the engineering. I just hope that is not uncooked fish he's cold smoking. That wood frame is a botulism or listeria farm.

Its not a problem if the food is cured and smoked.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 07:50:52 AM »
Actually, I have to give him props for the engineering. I just hope that is not uncooked fish he's cold smoking. That wood frame is a botulism or listeria farm.

Not necessarily. You really have to know what you are doing and have some really, really clean equipment to cold smoke/dehydrate raw meat. Wood frame smoker cabinet will never be sterile enough for that kind of food.

Cook it first, that's another story.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 04:12:57 PM »

Not necessarily. You really have to know what you are doing and have some really, really clean equipment to cold smoke/dehydrate raw meat. Wood frame smoker cabinet will never be sterile enough for that kind of food.

Cook it first, that's another story.

People have been cold smoking all kinds of meat in wooden smokehouses using no more than a salt cure & smoke as the preservative for hundreds of years, with minimal sanitation practices. Mankind couldn't have survived without salt or smoke, despite the FDA's recommendation.

Cooking it first will kill the preservation process since cooking denatures the meat and stops all possibility of the chemical reaction between the meat, cure and smoke.

Feel free to PM any time if you need to know what your doing before you do smoke anything.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
I'm well aware of what I am doing, but I appreciate the patronizing just the same.

Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM