Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle v. WSM Usage  (Read 8154 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Kettle v. WSM Usage
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 10:25:42 AM »
I got a 22 performer and use it to smoke on all the time... 3 slabs no problem 5lbs leg of lamb great.  I am in the same boat with the WSM always wanted one but did not know if it is worth the $300?  I was in home depot yesterday and there she was 18" of smokey mountain just sitting there marked down to $150.  Wife was with me at the time so had to pass and did not really want to spend the cash.  Just bought 2 webers this week and got a bid on another.. I just cant stop thinking about it. just cant see how much use it will get.  Would be great to add to the collection.  If it is there Thurs.  that may be the sign to buy..lol.   Is the 18 too small??

Just buy it. The used 18" wsm's sell for close to $200 no problem so you have nothing to lose.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
I have no need for an 18 cause I have the 22, but I wouldn't even think twice about buying it at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
or buy it, sell it right away for $200 then get a 22!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 02:57:43 PM »
I had a WSM and sold it. Just sat around collecting dust in my case.

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »
I had a WSM and sold it. Just sat around collecting dust in my case.
   That is what I am afraid of...$150 and I can get a CAJUN BANDIT ROT :).. walked past her again at home depot today  maybe tomorrow .
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 04:50:57 PM »
If space is an issue, and you routinely smoke large pieces of meat, or lots of it, the WSM makes sense. If you only "occasionally" do large cuts, or quantity, a few kettles can get the job done too. If space/money isn't an issue, I say get the WSM, as it is an awesome smoker!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 10:58:54 PM »
I love this thread ... had to think a while since I usually just let the kettle that wants to cook today's meal tell me when I look at them ...

18" WSM -- best turkey ever done.
18" WSM -- best pork shoulder ever done.
18" WSM -- biggest amount of Pork ribs ever done.
18" WSM -- easiest to use (I hate that about it, less time for cigars & single malt)

22" Kettle -- best Pork ribs ever done
22" Kettle -- best chicken ever done
22" Kettle -- best prime rib on Roti ever done (Would have brought tears to the eyes of Meathead)
22" Kettle -- best steak, burgers, etc. ever done
22" Kettle -- best full meals ever done (although the "use an 18" only meal cook was fun")
22" Kettle -- best stir fry ever/only done on 22" Kettle
22" Kettle -- requires slightly more attention than the WSM (I like that, you know why)
22" Kettle -- best economy of fuel source (especially using the fuse method)

However, that being said, I believe that you can use either/all of these Weber cookers to produce the most excellent gastronomic treats known to mankind ... Just ask
Mr Buckie.                         SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 04:59:43 AM »
Great thread, thanks @Neil_VT00.

All the info provided here is helpful and answers a lot of the questions I have; especially 26" kettle v WSM.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »
   ...$150 and I can get a CAJUN BANDIT ROT :).. walked past her again at home depot today  maybe tomorrow .

Ah yes  ...  a Roti.  I feel I must point out, at this point, that a Roti is the antithesis of a Smoker.  BOTH are essential tools to the "outdoor" chef.  It's not a matter of which, it's a matter of which first  8)    ;)                               SJ

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »
I love this thread ... had to think a while since I usually just let the kettle that wants to cook today's meal tell me when I look at them ...

18" WSM -- best turkey ever done.
18" WSM -- best pork shoulder ever done.
18" WSM -- biggest amount of Pork ribs ever done.
18" WSM -- easiest to use (I hate that about it, less time for cigars & single malt)

22" Kettle -- best Pork ribs ever done
22" Kettle -- best chicken ever done
22" Kettle -- best prime rib on Roti ever done (Would have brought tears to the eyes of Meathead)
22" Kettle -- best steak, burgers, etc. ever done
22" Kettle -- best full meals ever done (although the "use an 18" only meal cook was fun")
22" Kettle -- best stir fry ever/only done on 22" Kettle
22" Kettle -- requires slightly more attention than the WSM (I like that, you know why)
22" Kettle -- best economy of fuel source (especially using the fuse method)

However, that being said, I believe that you can use either/all of these Weber cookers to produce the most excellent gastronomic treats known to mankind ... Just ask
Mr Buckie.                         SJ

Hey @SmokenJoe you gotta add the models and most importantly, the colors to the list. Because some colors cook better than others, you know. :D
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
@pbe gummi bear   You anarchist, are you trying to upset my girls ???   They are all equal in my eyes, but we all have favorites :)  ;D   ;)              SJ

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
I cringe when I hear people say the 22" WSM is a fuel hog. They obviously don't know how to cook or are cheap a$$es!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
Just used 6-7 lbs of kingsford, 20 lit coals in the center, no water in the pan, got 7 hours out of it. Would have maintained temp for another 30-60 minutes. Not a fuel hog at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk