Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I am turning to the experts for their opinion...  (Read 8280 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: I am turning to the experts for their opinion...
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 06:06:45 AM »
Im sure someone here has an old 26 that could take a shot of their wheel tread.  Anyone else have these wheels?

If you look at my Sequoia...one of my back wheels that you can't see has been replaced and is different.  I've been trying for the longest time to find an 8" wheel to match mine...have you ever seen a similar one at the Hardware stores G$???

I do on my flat top Warrior. I will bear the elements in below zero weather to measure and take pics. It is a Pat# Pending,
but I don't think the are 8". Here it is in a group shot, size in this pic looks comparable to the performers. But, it does have the lawnmower tread, that I'm sure of.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 06:07:55 AM »
No Jeff, that cart design is clearly an old design.  Today's replacement versions would probably all look something like this: 

http://www.truevalue.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=4706&parentCategoryId=2320&categoryId=1595&subCategoryId=2325&type=product&cid=gooshop&source=google_pla&9gtype=%7Bifsearch:search%7D%7Bifcontent:content%7D&9gkw=%7Bkeyword%7D&9gad=%7Bcreative%7D.1&9gpla=%7Bplacement%7D

I am not sure whether it would have been called a utility wheel or a wagon wheel.  I call them lawnmower wheels.  But the design was pretty consistent across products.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 06:18:29 AM »
Yeah...thats the one Ive seen that I was mentioning with a similar tread pattern...but thats all thats similar.  The hub is obviously different though and there is no whitewall.  :(

And Greg...yours should be an 8" wheel...just like your Performer and Platinum have.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 06:21:34 AM »
Yeah...thats the one Ive seen that I was mentioning with a similar tread pattern...but thats all thats similar.  The hub is obviously different though and there is no whitewall.  :(

And Greg...yours should be an 8" wheel...just like your Performers have.

Probably, just never put a tape measure to them.
Wouldn't you think the whitewalls would age the same?
In the original picture, one on the left is grungy and the one on the right is bright white.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 06:36:37 AM »
You never know where the grill was stored, what might have been splashing up on that wheel either.  Totally random stuff Greg.

Ok G$...here is a photo of a brown 26 in the 1973 Weber Product catalog.  (Its Greg's grill's brother!) You can clearly see the wheel style with the tread.
Alright...so after all this, we have determined that this Sequoia DOES INDEED have original Weber wheels...the rest of the grill is up for debate!  LOL

Kettle collector AND cooker!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
I checked the sequoia I have and the wheels have grooves that run all around the tire.  I do have an 26" with a diamond tread like that.  And and old Ranch but I am 99.9% sure those are not orginal. 

I will try to get a picture posted when there is some sunlight outside. 

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
G$ I am not sure of anything, I'm just trying to be an observer.  I think it's a home made myself.  Maybe he had some old Weber wheels lying around?   Oh and also nevermind looking at lawnmower tires for replacements, try wagon wheels.  I have seen a few that would be perfect....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »
i've refrained from sharing my opinion because i wanted to see you guys duke it out :)

Here's what I think.

It's a rehab/rebuild.

Here's why:
the wheels look like weber wheels, and the frame, size, and accessories of the cart look original.
the boards and bowl are clearly not original.

my guess is the original kettle and cart got ruined. left open in the rain or something that caused it to rust out and the 'decking' of the cart got destroyed as well. Someone stripped the boards off, leaving just the frame. They rebuilt it from there with different wood (and slightly different arrangement)

a few notes on some other theoretical reasonings:
- it's painted. this means that whoever had it or built it didn't really care about maintaining the original vintage value.
Nowww, if someone were to build that cart from scratch - why bother with details like the wheels and accessories and shape of the handles if they clearly don't care about maintaining the originality of the cart.

For all we know, the original owner could have wanted to upgrade to a one-touch. So he bought a new grill only to realize it wouldn't just 'swap out' so he went to work modifying his sequoia to hold the new grill. His last resort was to tear out all the boards and rebuild with with whatever he had around the garage. When he was done, the grill fit - but the colors didn't match - so he painted it.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
It could be a rehab of an original Sequoia frame, but I saw issues with that too.
The frame in question appears to be "beefier" than the original, the extended handles appear to be too "beefy" as well.
I think my buddy passed anyway.
Thanks for all of the input.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"