Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I am turning to the experts for their opinion...  (Read 8281 times)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
I am turning to the experts for their opinion...
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »
OK folks, I have an internet buddy and fellow Weber enthusiast who has a line on this Weber and we are trying to determine if this is a real deal genuine Sequoia. We know the color is wrong, and there are some other tell-tale signs that may indicate it is not an actual Sequoia.

What say you?

I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Sonny Roach

• Smokey Joe
Re: I am turning to the experts for their opinion...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:03:21 AM »
Cart looks close, door handle is different. The grill is a standard OTS.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:11:35 AM »
Ok...I see some differences here. Obviously the kettle itself is not original. The orginal kettle has no legs...or leg sockets for that matter.  The wood cart looks a little different.  The boards are wider, although the wheels, and hinges are original.  Here are  some pics of mine.
There are no pics of a side angle either.   From the looks of it, the side (or end caps) of the cart appear to be boxed out all the way down.  If you look at mine, the sides (or ends) should extend down no farther than the doors. 

I have a feeling this seller replaced the top boards as well as the boards on the doors.  For what its worth, you may have a partially original Sequoia cart...that is missing the most important part...the original kettle itself.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:14:11 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:13:53 AM »
The hinges and cart look right, not sure about the handle. It just looks like they trashed the old kettle that was made for it and replaced it with an ots. Also painted the cart while they were at it. If the price is right it can be put back the way it was.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:17:36 AM »
Im curious, are all 4 wheels the same? Does it have the side rings? I know that you could come real clsoe when building a replica, but some stuff is not avaialble. Like Jeff said, the bowlm and the ring that supports the bowl. Would be worth having for the right price.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »
looks like a container of lighter fluid in one of those pics.....    :o
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:23:54 PM »
What they said. 

And it looks like the axle leg of the replacement OTS is visable through the open door of the cart. 

If they are asking $60, offer $30. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:13:21 AM by reillyranch »

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.

Looking at the two sets of pics I saw other things that led me to believe that if it ever was a GEN-U-INE Sequoia, it had been heavily modified, and I told the potential buyer the same thing.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
Even if that isn't a genuine Sequoia cart it's a damn nice looking replica.  ;)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I believe there isn't one thing original or genuine on this cart. After carefully examining both sets of pics, I conclude that everything is different. To start with, the kettle is obviously not the original - no surprise there. Second, the top and door boards on the this one are tongue and groove style. The top and door boards on Jeff's Sequoya are not. The cross member board going across the inside of the door that is suppose to stabilize the door is contructed differently. This one has a single board that appears to be a 1x8? Jeff's Sequoya has two cross stabilizers per door that appear to be 2x3, maybe 2x4? The doors on this one are made up of 4 panels, one of which is a different width than the others. Jeff's Sequoya doors are made with 5 equal width panels. The wheels on this one have tread patterns, the wheels on Jeff's do not. The door handle obviously isn't the same. The hinges on this one are a three point wing tip cabinet hinge. The hinges on Jeff's Sequoya are not. Finally, the handles on the end are cut slightly shorter from the one Jeff has. What is there left? That covers every component? I think someone was trying to make a replica. Absolutely, positively not original or genuine.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
I concur with Ramsfan, but the hinges on the doors actually are pretty close.  My pics aren't the best to show the detail...so I've included a closeup of them.  I've also seen 3 different style wheels on Sequoias so far also.  The set like my Sequoia has, the set that is on this one, and then a set of wheels with the steel rims and rubber tread.  Of course, the wheels on the Sequoia are all 8"...not 6" 

So at least one item (the wheels) and MAYBE the hinges might be original on it...in my opinion.  The hinge style may have changed over the few years this grill was made.

Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »
I think not original. OTS installed. All tongue and groove. One knob on a door..Should have handles on both. Where the ash tray should be,  there is a shelf.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »
Someone obviously did some work and mods to it, but I try and remember that weber made these for several years and probably made several changes to make them easier to stamp out. You would really need to buy it and pick it apart. Like Jeff said, they used three different wheel styles. The oldest were metal and newest full plastic. It needs to be matched up with another of about the same year.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »
Jeff,  do you have pictures of the others? This is do different than yours. The one posted by Hank is identical to yours.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
I can't help but thinking that if so many parts and pieces on this cart aren't original that we definately know for sure, it seems highly unlikely that whoever built it would go out of their way to get the original wheels and hinges from 40+ years ago? I would think if they had access to the original wheels and hinges, it would be highly likely that they should have the other original hardware pieces too? Such pieces as the kettle and door handles for instance? I'm guessing that it was probably intended to be a replica all along made with parts readily available today?

It doesn't look like completely bad construction, just definately not original and definately not professional. Look at the scews on the vertical boards on the ends right outside the hinges. Look how sloppy and crooked they are up and down the board. Looks like someone sprayed it with a machine gun. No way Weber would turn out a product looking like that.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"