Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I am turning to the experts for their opinion...  (Read 8285 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Re: I am turning to the experts for their opinion...
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »
Ramsfan, what's your take on the ring that sets in the top where the bowls sits? Is it possible someone tried to recondition the cart because it was falling apart?

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
In my opinion, there is no way this cart was original at one time and then reconditioned. The wood is definately not original. The wood throughout the whole cart is tongue and groove used for flooring. Weber clearly didn't use this, so there is no question that none of the wood is original. Plus, the construction is clearly different. We know the kettle isn't original. So that leaves the remaining pieces such as wheels and hinges and door handles? We know the door handle isn't original for sure.  The hinges and wheels are all that's left. Jeff says it's possible they could be original, but if I was a betting man in Vegas, I'd say no. Given everything else isn't original, I doubt those last two pieces would be.

If it was a recondition job, I would think the guy would take apart the whole thing board by board, retrace each piece with an exact copy piece of wood and reassemble it again? That's what I would do if I were reconditioning it.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 05:00:37 AM »
IMO, not a single piece of this came from an original Sequoia.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 05:42:56 AM »
Jeff,  do you have pictures of the others? This is do different than yours. The one posted by Hank is identical to yours.

Greg, I don't have any photos of those other Sequoias.....but I do know for a fact that those are original 8" Weber wheels on there.  I have the same ones on my red 26.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 05:58:38 AM »
Hey Jeff, I just noticed a bottle of lighter fluid in one of those pictures you posted. :D

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »
Yeah yeah Shaun...that pic is a few years old.  I had the Performer and the Sequoia going at the same time that day.  And yes, my gas assist works on the Performer...so..."my wife" was lighting the Sequoia!  ;)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »
Just yanki'n your chain Jeff. It remindes me of Cookingmamas tag, "ribs parboiling and reaching for the lighter fluid". That always makes me laugh when I see it. I might be trying a chimney for the first time this year.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 06:33:19 AM »
That's funny Shaun, you using a Chimney.. I just started using my torch.. Makes quick work of starting the coals.. Plus it makes an awesome sound when its on high!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 08:28:15 AM »
I want to try a weed burner just once to see if its any faster.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »
Well I would think about a few things.  First I would say that Weber did make many different things over a long period of time.  We ourselves right here have seen some pretty strange grills that were in fact made by Weber.  The gasser performer prototype Rielly got is a real strange bird. 

As far as someone reconditioning the existing cart, you can't possibly know what some idiot would do.  That is pure conjecture.  You see plenty of idiots doing a lot of dumb stuff.  Just because we would do it the right way that doesn't mean someone else would do it that way. 

I would for sure say it is still a pretty cool cart.  It is a decent replica.  Who knows maybe it was an aftermarket kit designed for Webers.  Maybe someone saw a sequoia and decided they could do one themselves.  I like it...if the price was right.  I would like to get it and refurb it to look a little more like a sequoia. 

It is curious that it has real old wheels on it.  Who would find old wheels to put on a cart they just built. It's obviously old,  it looks like it has been repainted a long time ago. 

I myself have my doubts weather it is a Weber product, however when it comes to Weber I would definitely say never say never....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:42 AM »
I'll stand by my statement that not a piece of that is from an original Sequoia, but that it is rather a reproduction crafted at home.

What makes you (Jeff and Brian) so certain those are old weber wheels?   They look like the plastic wheels one buys at Ace hardware or Sears.  They have been available for as long as things have had plastic wheels.   And notice for example the diamond tread pattern consistent with "replacement lawnmower wheels" vs. the smoother groove pattern apparent in Jeff's photos. 

Did weber make left handed and right handed sequoias?  :o  8)  ???  ::)  :-X

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 05:14:45 AM »
I have an exact set on my red 26.  I've also seen the same wheels on a brown 26"   Let me go see if I have some pics of my wheels from my 26. 

Ok...here are the wheels on my 26.  They are 100% for sure a Weber wheel.  I think some others might be able to chime in on it as well.  There are wheels at Ace, or any big box home supply store that have a similar tread pattern, BUT...the hub is different and the ones in the store don't have the thin white wall either.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:18:29 AM by Jeff »

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 05:26:49 AM »
Look near the hinge. Looks like a carriage bolt by the hinge.  You would think they would all have that. WAY too many differences for me to think it is not a replica. The handles appear shorter also, at least in the photos.  I think someone wanted one and built it to their specs, like no spaces between wood on the bottom shelf.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:32:44 AM »
dangit Jeff, now we need to get the CSI eam to blow up the pictures so we can get a detailed tread analysis done!  They certainly could be weber wheels!    (Generic wheels just like the ones weber used have definitely been available as well)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 05:54:37 AM »
Im sure someone here has an old 26 that could take a shot of their wheel tread.  Anyone else have these wheels?

If you look at my Sequoia...one of my back wheels that you can't see has been replaced and is different.  I've been trying for the longest time to find an 8" wheel to match mine...have you ever seen a similar one at the Hardware stores G$???

Also...to ad to this.  G$...if you have seen the 1973 Weber product catalog at the other site, you can look at the 26ers on their and see they have this same tread pattern.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:04:00 AM by Jeff »