Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Surf and turf. Question  (Read 1752 times)

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
Surf and turf. Question
« on: December 12, 2015, 02:01:37 PM »

Made some filet and scallops tonight. The filet turned Out amazing but I have some questions. My mom gave me the filets and she had them frozen for a long time and they were rough looking. I used the reverse sear for the first time which was awesome! Then gave it a quick sear.. My question is my thermapen r600 was reading 137 when I pulled them off and 150 after rest. Clearly the steak isn't well done. What could be the issue

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Surf and turf. Question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
I just poked my monitor with my orange Thermapen, and I got the same readings ….
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 04:27:20 PM »
Meat continues to cook during the rest. Try pulling at 125°. Looks pretty damn good though. I need to try scallops on the grill. Bout how long on each side did you go. Can't imagine very long.
Still need a 22” yellow

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »
I put the potatoes on the same time as the meat which was reverse sear at 275. I moved them to direct heat after an hour and for 10mins to crisp them up. The scallops and cabbage I put on direct heat (400) for 8 mins. I understand the get warmer during resting. My issue is the steak clearly isn't cooked to 150.. So why is the thermometer that is correct giving me a reading that is way to high luckily I know how to feel a steak if it's correct

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »
2x2x2x2 scallops

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 08:33:26 AM »
The Thermapen is super accurate and the temperature probe is really small. Maybe you went too deep past the middle (or not far enough in) and were getting a reading closer to the edge.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »
My non-scientific answer.

Cooking via the reverse sear method doesn't result in a classic looking well done steak. Temperature wise, you're well done. But because those temps were achieved mostly in indirect heat, the meat does not turn brown all the way through. With a direct cook to well done temps, the outside is actually a higher temp and more done than the middle when it achieves the well done temp.

What I've done for family members that want a well done steak is cook indirect to a lower temp, then finish it off over direct heat longer than the mediums. This gives the classic well done look to the meat while still being more tender than a well done steak cooked over direct heat. I've spoiled a few of them doing this:)

I've also overdone steaks in this same manor by accident and given them to people who like mediums and they don't complain (too much) about the taste and texture, just the color.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
Not really sure to say about temp after they were removed...maybe cook indirect to about 5 degrees lower next time.  I usually don't take a temp once I start the searing process so this might be typical of how most steaks come out after reverse sear?  Either way it looked like one hell of a meal.   When I have weird technical results but a great finished product, I don't share the technical results to the person(s) eating the great results!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.