Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 4201 times)

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
Thanksgiving
« on: November 24, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »
Hello All.  I'll be grilling a couple of of bone-in turkey breasts and two racks of baby backs on Thursday.  I'm sure many of you will be working the kettle too.  I'll post pictures, I hope to see yours as well.  Happy Thanksgiving, friends!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »
I haven't been at this for long, and haven't done any turkey on the kettle yet. Figured thanksgiving day isn't the day to try it. Gonna stick to my trusty fryer this year. I'll practice, hopefully find a rotisserie locally and do one next year. Happy thanksgiving everyone, though.
Still need a 22” yellow

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:10:53 PM »
Thanksgiving? I just sit on the couch, let the wife cook, and try not to overdo on the beer!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:43:55 AM »
I haven't been at this for long, and haven't done any turkey on the kettle yet. Figured thanksgiving day isn't the day to try it. Gonna stick to my trusty fryer this year. I'll practice, hopefully find a rotisserie locally and do one next year. Happy thanksgiving everyone, though.
When I was going to do my my first turkey for Thanksgiving about 6 weeks before I did a practice one so I knew what to expect.  I also watched a video on BBQ Pit Boys of them doing about a 14lb turkey on the Weber kettle.  After that this will be my 4th one I'm doing but the video and the practice turkey really helped. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »
If your a bit hesitant, Jump in with a second bird or a breast on the kettle in addition to your primary bird.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »
You can always get a few birds or breasts after Thanksgiving on super sale!  @CharliefromLI is right about doing a second bird or a breast.  Breasts are really easy since its all on type of meat.  Did an almost 6lber last night in about an hour and a half.  Came out really good.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
I thought I would post some pics here of what I was up to.  I am doing the usual three birds.....

Here they are all ready to go.  I'm doing two with the Salt pork method, and I'm brining the other.  I used to brine them all but the last two years I did the salt pork and they were fantastic.  I am a very traditional turkey guy.  We used to do all the frying and all that but at the end of the day I just liked these the best. 

Here in Chicago this time of year can be crazy, last week we had ten inches of snow, today it's 50 and raining.  So I moved the setup under the cover of my deck.  Just in case the rain got bad.   The real decision was, which grills got the nod.  I decided on the Chestnut MTH, the Sequoia, and my number #1 copper performer. 

Birds went down indirect and the two salt pork are upside down for the first hour, my camera did this silly effect and I liked it so I said what the heck, vintage grill, vintage look.....

Brined bird, on the sequoia....

I'll keep updating throughout the day.....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
This is what my day looked like.  More turkey details in the Meet up & Events thread...

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »
That could be a classic. Title: "Good-looking smoked turkey leaning on an onion, accompanied by temp probe positioned with foil."

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 03:53:30 AM »
@zavod44, can you post a link to a discussion of the salt pork method? You have my attention!
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

robertn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 04:57:33 AM »
Nothing really special other then I brined the Turkey this year.  Old red is celebrating its 20th Thanksgiving with the family.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb0nmphvk65s22x/IMG_2962.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaaxuvvd11ttkvq/IMG_2973.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f1pg74qlkhe6ac/IMG_2980.JPG?dl=0

…. still need to figure out how to post pictures instead of links.  Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 05:00:13 AM by robertn »

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »
I made the slow smoked peppered salmon fillet (a nice 3 pounder).  I tweaked the cook process along the lines suggested in response to my earlier post.  Thanks in good measure to those, this time it went really smoothly and came out great. Already love my SSP!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 06:49:05 AM »
Here is what I made this year.  Ham Hocks, 14lb Turkey and Polish Keibasa 

The boys at work
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)