Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Replacement Ash Catcher  (Read 2460 times)

tom bauer

• Happy Cooker
Replacement Ash Catcher
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:19:10 AM »
I picked up a EO kettle that was in pretty good shape on my way home one day and was wondering if the one-touch ash catcher assembly would fit on this kettle. It cleaned up great and the 3 wooden handles are in good shape, the only thing wrong, is that is a little wobbly and the kettle has a couple of very small dings on it

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Replacement Ash Catcher
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
 If your grill is a three wheeler (3 seperate vents on the bottom), then you cannot use the one touch system.  I have a three wheeler and having three seperate vents to open and close makes it really easy to fine tune temps when smoking!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

tom bauer

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 05:54:06 AM »
That is something that I am aware of, a EO = 1995, which has the one- touch system. My concern is whether the ash catcher tabs will fit into the leg sockets.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:00:02 AM »
My EE (96) SS Performer did not work with the new ash catcher system.  My SS had the cross bar on the ash catcher it came with.  I really liked the look of the new ash catcher so I bent and broke off the part of the tab that actually sticks into the legs then drilled and riveted the ash catcher to the leg mounts.

Here is the post for the mod that I did.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:11:49 AM »
There are several ways to do it, if you look at the leg sockets and see if the gap is lined up toward the center (the sockets have three tabs if they face away from the center you are good) if so it will snap right in, if not you can use a hose clamp to hold the ash ring to the socket or you can drill a hole in the ash ring tabs and the socket and put a self tapping screw in to hold it.

For the legs, if the legs are loose in the socket, take them out and use a wood broom handle and insert it into the leg and gently wiggle it around to spread the opening up a little and that should tighten up the legs.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:18:32 AM »
Ah yes, I didn't think about the legs actually being there since my mod was on a performer....My mod should still work fine, just replace the rivets with screws.  I'd maybe go the leg clamp route though so I can still remove the legs easily for transport.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 06:28:54 AM »
Ah yes, I didn't think about the legs actually being there since my mod was on a performer....My mod should still work fine, just replace the rivets with screws.  I'd maybe go the leg clamp route though so I can still remove the legs easily for transport.
The sockets are still there right? You might get lucky and the slots in the socket may line up.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

tom bauer

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies, in between the rain I will take a look at the gap in the leg sockets and go from there.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 09:07:07 AM »

I did the drill method. Looks nice and clean.  Here is a thread of mine.  Scroll down a bit to see my explanation.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/one-touch-vent-size/

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.