Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking on the 'One Touch'?  (Read 2729 times)

BC

• WKC Brave
Smoking on the 'One Touch'?
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
I know a lot of you people do it but I've been told that smoking on these is more difficult, not well suited to smoking. Is this true? I have a 22.5 " One Touch Gold. So I'm told lol I also have the classic kettle and like smoking on that one.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Smoking on the 'One Touch'?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
It is super easy!  I smoke on my 22's more than I do traditional cooks on them.

Here is a link to a post I did a few weeks ago covering the basic how to's:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/charcoal-newbie-from-australia/msg193267/#msg193267

Read through the entire thread...there was a lot of good info throughout the posting.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »
I like the classic kettle a lot for smoking. I'll read that link thanks, but I can only guess that smoking on a one touch gold is no more complicated/difficult than the classic design?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »
a 22" kettle is a 22" kettle.  They will perform the same.  I've only smoked one time on my three wheeler and found that having three vents to control individually gave me the ability to fine tune a little more than my one touch, but it wasn't enough of a difference for me to say one is a lot easier or harder than the other.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »
and I would suggest doing either a pork loin, or pork ribs for a first attempt at smoking.  Shoulders and butts are amazing, but remaining calm if it stalls (no internal temp change for anywhere between 30 minutes up to several hours) can make it a little tough for a first time smoking on your webers.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
Easy peasy........Louisey.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »
The only problem with smoking on the OTG is the limited amount of food that you can cram on it!  (LOL)

I found it just as easy to control the temp on the OTG as it is on my WSM.  The WSM just hold one heckuva lot more meat.

BD

The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
It's a lot easier to control temps on one touch kettle by controlling how much lit coals you start with and how quickly new coals light. Do a search on the snake method and you will be good to go.

One peice of advice. Kettle temps swing a little more then WSM so don't sweat it. As long as your within range of target temp you'll be good.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »
Familiar with stalls so not leery of smoking any piece of meat. Only problem I have right now is deciding what to smoke next. Got a freezer full of meat that's been awaiting my attention :)

and I would suggest doing either a pork loin, or pork ribs for a first attempt at smoking.  Shoulders and butts are amazing, but remaining calm if it stalls (no internal temp change for anywhere between 30 minutes up to several hours) can make it a little tough for a first time smoking on your webers.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »
I smoke on my performer on an almost weakly basis, works great. Just started using a smokenator last week and am really impressed with the results, makes smoking on the kettle even easier