Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermometer recommendation  (Read 4132 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Thermometer recommendation
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 12:23:55 PM »
Never had an issue with the range or programming on the 733.  The food temp is always way off.  Not just a few degrees but almost 20 degrees.  I may reorder once I get more info or if one of you guys can tell me why I am getting these whacked out readings from the food probe.

I'd do either of the following or both:

1.  Order a new set of probes and see if that fixes it (I love my 6ft probes)
2.  Call Maverick and see what they can do.  If it isn't just your probes that are a little wonky, they might replace you transmitter and receiver.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
@Davescprktl,  This is one of my go-to tests:  Get some water boiling, while it's boiling, immerse both probes, let them stabilize (off the bottom of the pan) and write down the results.  Now switch the probes and repeat the above test.  If the input jacks are OK, then any temp difference will shift with the probe swap.  If the temp difference doesn't shift, then you got a bad jack, jack.  Finally, contact C/S and discuss your results.                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
@Davescprktl,  This is one of my go-to tests:  Get some water boiling, while it's boiling, immerse both probes, let them stabilize (off the bottom of the pan) and write down the results.  Now switch the probes and repeat the above test.  If the input jacks are OK, then any temp difference will shift with the probe swap.  If the temp difference doesn't shift, then you got a bad jack, jack.  Finally, contact C/S and discuss your results.                          SJ

Second this motion. Ice water works too.
Still need a 22” yellow

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »

Cool!  I'll try that.  Thanks!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »
733 just went on sale on Amazon for $54.99.  That is one hell of a price!!!!!  It's a lightning deal, so only 3 hours left, so 3pm EST.

http://amzn.com/B00K6M2BGI
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 11:17:24 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed you talked me into it.  I'll give it another shot.  Guess I can't pass up a deal like that.  My wife is going to look at me like I'm crazy. 
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed you talked me into it.  I'll give it another shot.  Guess I can't pass up a deal like that.  My wife is going to look at me like I'm crazy.

I went ahead and got one as well even though I already have one sitting in the closet unopened.  It was too good of a deal.  If you end up not liking it but it seems to be working properly maybe we can do a swap and I can return my unused one and take yours.  Not sure how easy to return it would be once its opened.  Or maybe we swap out probes or something like that.  I have a feeling you will like it though.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »
I have an iGrill2 and bought another one when I saw the Sam's bundle for ~$72 around Christmas. Has worked great for me, besides iGrill is now a Weber product. :D
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 07:24:09 PM »
733 is great. Thermoworks has a similar dual probe unit that is pricier but they are the gold standard of thermometers.