Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken Backs - Never Throw Them Away  (Read 3779 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Chicken Backs - Never Throw Them Away
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:18:16 AM »
When 3-packs of whole chickens go on sale at Costco, I like to pick up a couple packs.

I will then proceed to cut each bird into halves, vacuum seal the halves in pairs, and then into the freezer.

Before I vacuum seal the backs, I sprinkle some Kosher salt on them, seal, then toss them into the freezer. 

This past weekend was time to give these backs some kettle love.  Fall weather has arrived, so soup was on order for Sunday.

Found another 3 backs in the freezer, so I had a total of 9 backs on the Performer, along with some BSCTs.
Used some apple and cherry wood for smoke.

I also found a couple Ziplocs in the freezer containing scraps from a turkey carcass that had been smoked this past Easter.

The backs were smoked on Saturday, and Sunday afternoon was the day to make soup.

All of the turkey scraps and the chicken backs into the pot and covered with water.

I like to let that go at a nice rolling boil for at least an hour.  While it's doing that, I cut up the veggies - celery, carrots, onion, and garlic

I then strain this concoction and separate the scraps to be dealt with shortly …. Got 6 litres / quarts of broth.

I bring this back to a boil, add the veggies, and a cup of pot-barley.  A little later I added another quarter cup of barley. Salt & Pepper to taste.

… Now, the tedious task of picking at the carcass and backs to get as much meat off of them as possible. 
Lots of meat here that would otherwise be tossed into the trash.

Ended up with 7 quarts of soup.

It may seem to be a lot of work, but it's not, really.  More time than anything.  I believe that it is always worth the little effort to make something great.

Everytime I make this, I say, "This is the best soup that I have ever made."  It truly is awesome soup for cool, Fall weather.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Chicken Backs - Never Throw Them Away
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:52 AM »
I just made stock with frozen pieces of various smoked poultry parts... I think I had turkey wing tips, a duck carcass, a couple chicken backs, and a bunch of wing tips. Agreed that it is the best base for a great chicken soup!

I like the barley in place of noodles too. Very nice!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »
That soup looks great! Nice job putting in a little extra work to make it right

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »
I know that soup was good!

I have several bags of chicken back bones and several bags of wing tips I have been saving to make chicken broth and freeze into individual servings for different recipes.

I also told my wife to start saving and freezing onion, carrots, celery scraps to add to the pot when making the broth, then strain it.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »
 Great idea saving them up like that , I think I'll start doing that myself !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:19 PM »
Love it man!! I need to start saving the backs

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:24:46 AM »
I need to try this! Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »
I love to make chicken stock, but I never thought to combine with grilling. Thanks!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »
Guilty, I need to clean my freezer out too...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:26:01 PM »
@MacEggs, I love to make soup too.  I favor Minestrone made from the left overs of my weekly smoked chicken.  The skin is already spiced and the extra meat is very smokey.  Trouble is, it takes us several meals to use up all the soup that we end up making :)                               SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 06:29:37 AM »
Smoked Soup, its whats for dinner on that cool fall night..
Love it!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 05:37:50 AM »
I've always heard it's easy to make chicken broth and it's 10X better than store bought.  You've inspired me to do it  ...soon.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 08:49:42 AM »

@MacEggs, I love to make soup too.  I favor Minestrone made from the left overs of my weekly smoked chicken.  The skin is already spiced and the extra meat is very smokey.  Trouble is, it takes us several meals to use up all the soup that we end up making :)                               SJ

We make soup regularly and like you it usually takes days to finish it so we got into canning it.   This last Thanksgiving we made soup from the carcass, had our meal and canned 9 500ml (pint) jars which are the perfect size for a bowl.   I absolutely hate store bought soup so this makes it great for us.  Going to be making some more just for canning in a couple days. 

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 09:59:58 AM »
LumpyC  My wife & I just got into canning this past season.  Thanks for the idea on saving our soup that way, we'll give it a try.                        SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".