Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: reviving a performer ignitor  (Read 1527 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
reviving a performer ignitor
« on: April 19, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
Had performer with gas assist with failed ignitor.

Removed ignitor contacts.  Sanded/filed off the rust to bare metal.

Ignitor works

Thanks to whomever wrote about this recently...thats where i got idea from...it may have been addictedtosmoke whom wrote this tip?
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: reviving a performer ignitor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
Not I, I don't even know how to take the igniter apart. You mean the red push button, or the wires at the burner tube? A picture might help.

I think the only thing I mentioned was to ensure the brass orifice at the end of the hose, where it clips into the burner tube, was clean --- and I can't claim to have recommended that here first! That tiny hole is about the size of a bread tie's wire. And of course you want to make sure no spider webs took hold over the winter inside the burner tube. A vacuum cleaner to that works.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:45 AM »
@addictedtosmoke

Removed the contacts wires from the ignitor tube.

Sanded filed down all rust...the screw which holds the contacts in place is small andnhas large receptzcle for small screw head size.  Had to use dewalt maxfit phillips but so the screw wouldnt strip.

Post rust removal ...wiped down contacts and ignitor works.

Also cleaned /lightly sanded the ignitor spark head tip..which is attached to the white round drum which inserts into the ignitor tube.

Sorry havent gotten around to learning how to post pictures here
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:32:32 AM »
OK, gotcha.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
so as always, this forum helped me out.

i had issues with flame being uneven and only lighting manually, igniter was not working.

I cleaned the burner tube (inside and out).  Inside had allot of old spider web egg gunk and outside had old grease.  Then cleaned all igniter contacts....

VOILA!!!!  starts on first igniter press and the flame is now split as its supposed to be.
Modify message

Thanks Fellas
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods