Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Burger tips?  (Read 9293 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Burger tips?
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
I'm an expert at eating burgers, but not making them.

Lets compile all of our best tips and advice for grilling burgers here.

Whoever posts the tip that gets the most THANK YOU votes will get a free WKC Edition Weber Wooden Handle

These tips will publish to the front page, with credit to you!

Santo

• WKC Brave
Re: Burger tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »
I'll play...
My go to moves lately are mixing in chopped bacon, ground sausage, and/or cheese into the ground beef.  I picked this up from my butcher shop that makes infallible bacon, cheddar burger patties (at $2 a burger).  The extra fat and oil from the meat and/or cheese make the burger incredibly juicy.  Even well done patties remain somewhat juicy.  Closest thing to an official recipe would be as follows:
5 lbs ground beef (roughly 85/15 mix)
1 lb bacon (rind off)
1 lb shredded cheddar cheese (usually mild, but depends what I have available)
Combine in large mixing bowl with freshly washed hands.  Once mixed, form into 6oz patties and you’re good to go.  I prefer to indirect heat my burgers and flip often to minimize the juice from dripping out (seems to work very well).  Also, sometimes I'll throw a chunk or two of pecan wood into the kettle for some added smoke flavor.  Salt and pepper to taste right before the grill.  Hit em with more or another cheese towards the end.  Dress how you see fit (lettuce, tomato, onions, etc.)

I’ve recently been experimenting, with great success, adding chopped mango into jalapeno chorizo.  I’m thinking I may turn this into a burger of some sort.

EDIT: Edit going in while there is only 3 replies to this thread.  Not everyone will agree but do not smash the burger with a spatula at any point.  Leave it alone, she's happy being chubby.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:39:52 PM by Santo »

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 12:51:04 PM »
Tip #1 - Always use a Weber Charcoal grill.  Food cooked on a char-broil just tastes bad.

Tip #2 - For big burgers (1/2 lb or more), use the same technique as a steak.  Reverse sear or sear and slide, (your preference) will ensure an even cooked burger to the internal temp you want.

Tip #3 - Just like a steak, a resting period ensures a juicy burger.  By cracking open a beer and letting it rest for 10 minutes after cooking, you will be rewarded with burger juice running down your face.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
I always cook my burgers on a cast iron griddle. First direct for a good sear then indirect to temp..enjoy yur turds while the burgers rest. That and a good beer is winner winner burger dinner.      8)
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 02:40:25 PM »
when forming the patties, press the center down with your thumb leaving a dent/divot. helps the middle finish sooner to prevent drying/burning on the perimeter.
add a dash of Worcestershire, a bit of rub/steak seasoning and some finely chopped/sliced onions to the meat and mix well before forming patties. your mouth will thank you.
ground turkey burgers are much better than they sound.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 02:42:10 PM »
Quick interjection, despite my participation in this thread, I am going to thank others for good tips that I didn't mention or have never heard before.  I'm here for knowledge as well as all the pretty pictures  :).  Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 05:53:58 PM »
Minimum 15% fat.
Forming patties do not over pack.
The dimple in the patty works.
Do not over season, salt and pepper on the outside of the patty 15 minutes before cooking.
Do not press burgers on the grill.

Mainly keep it simple sam.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:22:47 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:44:11 PM »
I always cook my burgers on a cast iron griddle. First direct for a good sear then indirect to temp..enjoy yur turds while the burgers rest. That and a good beer is winner winner burger dinner.      8)

I gotta have that grilled flavor though! :P

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:45:41 PM »
Here's my tip.

toss half an onion onto the coals before putting your patties on.
the onion makes a great smoke and adds some killer flavor to the burger

If you have beef fat trimmings, put them over the coals too to add even more beefy smoke flavor

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 02:51:28 AM »
@Troy   I should have been a little more specific. 1st on the cast iron to sear...then on grate to temp. ALWAYS look and taste great.       8)
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »
Tip 1: It's been mentioned already, but bares repeating. Don't over work the meat, handle as little as possible to form your patties. Over working will make your burger tougher.

Tip 2: (may just be more of a personal preference) I prefer thinner patties than thick, like just slightly thicker than what you get at a fast food place. The reason being is I like to double up and make double cheeseburgers. More crusty edges on two patties than one, and more cheesy goodness.

They cook faster, but you can still get a good crust and melted cheese before they get to well done.

Remmy700P

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 07:44:41 AM »
My patties are made with:

- 80/20 hamburger
- grated cheeses (cheddar, monterey jack, blue cheese)
- minced onion
- crumbled cooked bacon
- Worchestershire
- My homemade beef dry rub
- an egg
- panko bread crumbs

Before cooking, the outside is painted with grapeseed oil and sprinkled with more of the beef dry rub. It makes a KILLER crust. Dimple the center and give it to the flames!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »
@Remmy700P   I've seen your cooks.......likely a spectacular burger also !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »
1. Classic direct grilling.

2. An egg goes a long way

3. Panko gives it a nice crust.

4. Pressing down on the parties is a no no.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
Oh and once in a while it's fun to fry them over the coals in a CI pan or griddle. Diner style.