Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: UPDATE: It's a Triple Threat  (Read 3731 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
UPDATE: It's a Triple Threat
« on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »
It slices! It dices! Its makes Julian fries like a professional!

Ok so my latest project doesn't do those things but it's does have three very nice uses.

For the past few weeks I have been working on the best way to raise my pizza stone to promote even cooking.

Also this week I cooked a large number of chicken peices and corn indirect and grill space was at a premium. A raised second grate would have been ideal for that as well.

It was then I realize these are different problems with a common solution:

A raised grate using stainless carriage bolts as legs like others have made would solve both problems.

I grabbed some 4" bolts and hardware and started experimenting with various grates from an 14" SJ cooking grate on up. The best fit for my 14.75" pizza stone was a cooking grate from an 18" kettle.

Knowing that the hovergrill is similar dimensions I knew this would fit for a raised indirect cooking grate as well:

So as I tested the fit for pizza and indirect cooking I realized that there is third use for this:

This can add a third rack to my wsm too!
While this configuration will work fine, it may come in handy more as a "middle rack" for my wsm. By closing the gap between the two grates will close the temp gap by mitigating the heat diffusion of the water bowl.

Overall, It's fairly sturdy as a tripod but I may add a fourth leg just to play it safe and make spacing easier. I like the fact that the bolts are easy on easy off so I can change grate sizes if the need arrises, and the grate can go right back on the kettle or wsm as is.

Looking forward to a few test cooks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:40:46 PM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Qreps

• WKC Brave
Re: It's a Triple Threat
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »
Great way to add versatility.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
Great way to add space!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:37:59 AM »
Good idea.
On my UDS (55 Gallon Drum Smoker) I have 3" stainless steel pipe spacers between the ash pan and grate with SS bolts through them to attach the Pizza Pan (Ash Pan) 3 Inches under the 18" diameter charcoal basket. I used 4 bolts, and it has been very solid.

Bob

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: UPDATE: It's a Triple Threat
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
I updated my raised grill for stability. I added a fourth bolt and inverted the bolts with extra nuts.

Grate is More stable this way.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 06:47:02 AM »
i was thinking your triangle approach was going to be an issue once you had some food up thar. 

looking good! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:22:06 AM »
It wasn't terrible from a stability standpoint but since i was adding some extra nuts to invert the bolts, i just grabbed the fourth one. The fourth bolt made spacing a bit easier. As you can see i use it for a modified cooking grate to allow more refueling when i do pizza.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
Just recieved my 18.5" grate from Amazon...heading to the hardware store after work!  I think I'll go the 4 leg route as well.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
Just recieved my 18.5" grate from Amazon...heading to the hardware store after work!  I think I'll go the 4 leg route as well.
Mike one think to look into is using acorn nuts on the bottom to prevent the nuts from continuing to tighten in advertantly. I think I am going to do the change on mine as well.