Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber wok vs. Mr. BBQ wok  (Read 4543 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Weber wok vs. Mr. BBQ wok
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
First off you guys know I'm a tried and true Weber guy.

Thinking about putting a wok on my Christmas list and was searching between the Weber one and the Mr. BBQ one. My initial response is Weber all day, but I'm concerned about the porcelain coating scratching and eventually wearing out, plus all the reviews about it being hard to clean.

The Mr. BBQ one is just straight cast iron, and I'm pretty good about taking care of cast iron.

So dose anyone have experience with either one of them they want to share?

Thanks, Justin

fedex

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber wok vs. Mr. BBQ wok
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »
I have a Mr. BBQ.  I use it mostly for deep frying outside on a kettle.  Stir fried with it 2x no problems at all with it.   Pros. Cheaper then the Weber by far ($20) and fits perfect in the Weber Gourmet grate.  Cons. None so far.  It is heavy and pretty big.  Bought mine on line at Walmart.  Free shipping if you pick it up a your nearest Walmart.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:03:34 PM »

+1 for the Mr. BBQ wok

Works great, and fits in the grate good...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/too-hot/msg128966/#msg128966

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:47:33 AM by dazzo »
Dude, relax your chicken.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:39:26 PM »
I love my Weber wok, but I'll agree that it isn't easy to clean. Got mine for a song, so the price wasn't an issue. Never used the Mr. BBQ.
Growing family = growing kettles!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:02:27 PM »
I have the modern Gourmet system wok and the 2000's era aluminum 22 wok. Both are fantastic pieces of equipment. I'm not familiar with the Mr. BBQ one.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
Have you looked at a run-of-the-mill flat bottom carbon steel wok? A carbon steel wok is what is used in restaurants, and are not expensive. The flat bottom would let you also use it on any stovetop, plus you could pick a model with a handle. The handle would enable tossing, not just scraping around with a spatula.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 03:23:14 AM »
I bought a standard carbon steel wok from a local restaurant supply store  ( therestaraurantstore.com ).  I like it much better than any of the cast iron woks I've seen.  Works great, lightweight, easy to clean, and SO much cheaper.
-Keith

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 06:10:27 AM »
If you have the BBQ System, I would go with that WOK, it is very nice and I don't have an issue with cleaning it.

Although the price point on that Mr BBq one is nice.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »
I have a mr. bbq wok and have no complaints. I have only used it maybe 5 times. it is extremely heavy and takes a lot of time to heat up. I normally light a chimney full of coals and put the wok into my oven and pre heat to 300 degrees. After 20 min or so when coals are ready I put in charcoal baskets and put pre heated wok on grill. I let that heat up for 10-20 minutes and get ready to cook. The first time i used the wok I put it cold on the grill and it was not hot enough to cook after 20 min of pre heating. I took it off lit more coals and got the thing screaming hot. I really wanted a wok but since I have had it I rarely use it....
Hotty Toddy!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 05:15:44 PM »
I have three Carbon Steel Woks.  They are 18"-20" in diam.  Two have a single handle and one has two small loop handles.  They cost less than $20 each at the local Asian market (one of them cost $2 at a garage sale).  Once properly seasoned, they have turned out many, many fine Stir fry meals.  If your going to purchase for both indoor and outdoor use, then I recommend the "wire" fire ring and round bottom  ...  try to not use your Wok on an electric cooktop I've read they can damage the cooktop.                    SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".