Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snagged a Free NG Genesis Off CL This Morning (Pics Added)  (Read 7265 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Snagged a Free NG Genesis Off CL This Morning (Pics Added)
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »
Last night a "Free Curbside Alert" went out for a Weber natural gas grill in Scottsdale, but it's an hour drive away and I figured there was no chance it would be there by the time I got across the valley so I wrote it off. On my trip to work this morning (also in Scottsdale) I wondered if anyone had picked it up. Being 15 minutes from the office I swung by and checked and there it was. It's a red Genesis with the wood left side shelf/handle (no right side shelf) and the wire rack on the bottom so I believe that makes it a Genesis 1000, but it didn't have the flip up shelf. I also could swear the wood slats went left/right instead of front/back, but I must just be remembering it wrong. One of the slats is missing.

I'll post pics tonight when I get home, pull it out of the truck and give it the once over.

I posted pics tonight when I got home, pulled it out of the truck and gave it the once over. I don't have NG at the house so my plan is to convert it to LP.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:14:16 PM by AZRaptor »
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Snagged a Free NG Genesis Off CL This Morning (Pics Added)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:19:51 AM »
That's some kind of weird non Weber grates, but it looks like you might get a good sear out of them. The slats are facing the proper direction. I can probably come up with the flip up parts you need for adding the swing up shelf if you want them.

Sadly, to convert it to propane, you need a manifold, which is probably not available anymore, so you'll be trying to find a donor grill. You could also swap out the house for a regulator, but it'll run pretty hot (natural gas has less energy than propane, so the orifices are bigger).

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
Nice freebie! You could always rig a screen or grate at the bottom of the fire box, sell the flavorizers, and turn it into a charcoal with a rotisserie if you get stuck and can't re-convert it back to LP.
Good luck either way
SMOKE THIS!!

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
FYI...I used construction stakes to replace my slats. $3.49 for a pack of 12 at Depot. But beware...they are not all the exact same thickness, so you may have to get a couple packs.
SMOKE THIS!!

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »
But you only have to do 1 table so, one pack may do it.
SMOKE THIS!!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
That's some kind of weird non Weber grates, but it looks like you might get a good sear out of them. The slats are facing the proper direction. I can probably come up with the flip up parts you need for adding the swing up shelf if you want them.

Sadly, to convert it to propane, you need a manifold, which is probably not available anymore, so you'll be trying to find a donor grill. You could also swap out the house for a regulator, but it'll run pretty hot (natural gas has less energy than propane, so the orifices are bigger).

I'm in the midst converting a Summit from NG to LP.  From what I've read, you just need to replace the regulator and the orifices at the end of the valves as the orifice opening is smaller for LP.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »
A bunch of the Arizona guys and I were talking about this yesterday and @jcnaz found this site (http://www.grill-repair.com/weber332orifice.html) which sells the orifices and the regulator/hose combo.
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
A bunch of the Arizona guys and I were talking about this yesterday and @jcnaz found this site (http://www.grill-repair.com/weber332orifice.html) which sells the orifices and the regulator/hose combo.

That's a game changer. Now all those nice free NG grills will be worthwhile! Thanks!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »

That's a game changer. Now all those nice free NG grills will be worthwhile! Thanks!

I ordered mine so once they are in I'll report back how it all worked.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
Parts came in today so I'll be looking at doing the conversion this weekend.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 08:40:39 AM »
Well the regulator/hose and orifices worked just as planned so my NG is now swapped over to LP. Of course this led me to discover that the igniter doesn't work anymore. I'd rather not sink any more money into this conversion, but the criss-cross of flavorizer bars makes it difficult to get one of the long lighters down to the burners to light the gas. I could use long wooden matches, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has a better idea.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »
Well the regulator/hose and orifices worked just as planned so my NG is now swapped over to LP. Of course this led me to discover that the igniter doesn't work anymore. I'd rather not sink any more money into this conversion, but the criss-cross of flavorizer bars makes it difficult to get one of the long lighters down to the burners to light the gas. I could use long wooden matches, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has a better idea.

I'd spend the $11 at this point and replace the igniter.  That is, after pulling the current one apart, cleaning up all the contacts and making sure that it's truly shot.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
Ahh, didn't realize they were that cheap. I'll have to give current one a good look and see.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 06:38:08 PM »
Is there a hole in the firebox that you can stick a long lighter in?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »
Is there a hole in the firebox that you can stick a long lighter in?

I was looking for that, because that was how I always started the grill for my father as a kid, but I didn't really see anything.