Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snagged a Free NG Genesis Off CL This Morning (Pics Added)  (Read 7257 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Snagged a Free NG Genesis Off CL This Morning (Pics Added)
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
I think I see it in your first pic. Here's an example.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 07:03:35 PM »
Also, did you clean the contacts of the igniter and nearby metal? Sometimes the surface corrosion won't allow the spark to arc but a light brushing fixes that.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »
Yep, that falls under the "if it was a snake it woulda bit me" category. I was looking for a hole from the inside, but it's under the burner so I didn't see it. Look at the front and there it is, clear as day. I'll give the igniter the once over, I know there is a wire hanging unattached from it so I at least have to figure out where that goes.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
Alright, just disconnected both wires for the igniter from the grill and held the ends about a 1/4" appart and gave it a push and got a spark to jump between them so it looks like the igniter is ok, it's the piece inside the grill where the spark ignites the gas that isn't seeing any activity.

I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
That's called a "gas collector".  Clean it up a bit and even try to scuff the inside surface up a bit.   There should be a wire at the end of the electrode.  Carefully bend it to try and get it close to the bottom of the gas collector, as that's about the only solid metal left.  With the gas turned off, hit the button and see if you get an arc from the electrode to the collector.

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
Buy the ignitor! Its a nice red head....its worth it.
SMOKE THIS!!

GrillSavage

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »
That's some kind of weird non Weber grates, but it looks like you might get a good sear out of them. The slats are facing the proper direction. I can probably come up with the flip up parts you need for adding the swing up shelf if you want them.

Sadly, to convert it to propane, you need a manifold, which is probably not available anymore, so you'll be trying to find a donor grill. You could also swap out the house for a regulator, but it'll run pretty hot (natural gas has less energy than propane, so the orifices are bigger).

I'm in the midst converting a Summit from NG to LP.  From what I've read, you just need to replace the regulator and the orifices at the end of the valves as the orifice opening is smaller for LP.

@ jakolatern
 Did the orifice conversion work for you with this?