Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fajitas on the coals  (Read 1663 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Fajitas on the coals
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:29:17 AM »
Last weekend I made some Fajitas and tried out just cooking everything on the coals.  Like directly on them.  I've seen Alton Brown do this with skirt steak and I thought I would give  it a try.  Though I think I made a few mistakes a long the way.

Here's a pic of the meat that I think stayed in the marinade a bit too long, and I think I should have dried the surface first and salted it before cooking.

This is 1.5 lbs of Skirt Steak I got from Restaurant Depot, (well I got 6 lbs total, split it up into 1.5lbs sections and froze the rest)

I also think I didn't get enough of the silver skin on it off as some pieces ended up really really chewy.

I gave them about 30 - 45 seconds on each side and then directly wrapped up in some aluminum foil.

Then I slapped on the cast iron and got it hot.

and threw on the veggies.

Just salt, black pepper, and some olive oil

Sliced up the meat.  I did not get the crusting on the outside I was hoping for.

In the wrap with some shredded cheese and sour cream.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Fajitas on the coals
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:17:37 AM »
That is an awesome cook.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 08:59:36 AM »
It needs to be patted dry for sure, and you should only use lump, not briquettes, on a cook directly on the coals. I really like the cast iron and veggies on top, very cool!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »
Thanks lightning!  Austin yeah it's probably hard to tell in the pictures but I actually put a fresh bed of lump down for the steaks to sit on.  The briquettes were just left overs that the fresh lump sat on. 

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »
isn't there a lot of ash taste on the meat doing it that way?  *shudder* that brings up memories of reaching down and taking a swig outta that half full beer can the morning after a party.  You know the can, the one everyone was using to tap their cigarettes in...*shudder*

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:08:39 PM »
@Grizz that's why you use lump instead of briqs (way less ash), and give them a quick blow or fan them off with a paper plate before slapping the meat down on top. Lump is basically pure carbon and burns to nothing. Cigarette ash has all kinds of shit in it that wood ash does not.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 01:36:57 PM »
Great cook up John! And a cool twist with going right on the charcoal 8)

Fajitas are so good!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
Cave Man Style! 

I am sitting here thinking about how much grate-cleaning time this can save...

Thanks for sharing.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 08:30:31 AM »
Thanks guys, and yeah I paper plate fanned the lump first, and there was pretty much no ash on the meat.  There were a couple of specs here or there but no big deal.  It was a fun way to do it, and next time I'll definitely paper towel the steaks first.