Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lousy First Spatchcock  (Read 4590 times)

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Re: Lousy First Spatchcock
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 05:53:48 PM »

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:55:43 PM by Harleysmoker »

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 04:28:59 AM »
@Harleysmoker

When you use the baskets like that, do you have to turn or shield the birds at all? 

I'm gonna go for another chicken tonight, frying to decide on two baskets or banked coals on one side only...

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
No I don't turn the chicken or shield it. I put the chicken on, vents wide open and let it go for an hour, then start checking internal temps. Foil on the charcoal grate or a foil pan to catch the drippings. Chicken can make a mess of the grill without it.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:01:28 PM »

3/4 of a Weber chimney will fill both baskets. I put a basket on each side of the kettle and the chicken in the middle. Sometimes I put 2 chickens in the middle of baskets.

Light the chimney, when flames come out of the top and top charcoal is lightly ashed fill both baskets. All Vents wide open the whole cook. Put lid on and preheat grill for 10 mins or so. Add chicken and put the lid back on. It will take an hour, sometimes 10 0r 15 mins more.
X2
Plus I put fire bricks on the charcoal grate between the baskets....it really seems to help direct the heat up to the chicken, helps stabilize kettle temp and keeps the cool air going to the charcoal. 

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 05:18:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies. 

Well this cook was better.  I foiled the bottom grate and had a drip pan, and used two bricks as a coal dam.  Used a whole chimney of KBB, and a chunk of apple. 

I got skeered after I saw some high temps in the thighs, so I kept lookin' instead of cookin'.  Temps at the grate got over 400 so I think I got too big this time, and that is what did me in. 

Juices ran clear, but near the thigh bones it was a little underdone for the families liking. 

So I think I need to dial back my lit coal volume some, but otherwise just leave it alone and let it cook.

Also need to find a good deal on some Yardbird rub to try....