Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Guy Question  (Read 2921 times)

NomadicLogic

• Happy Cooker
New Guy Question
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »
So I purchased my performer a month or two ago, and I find the grate to be a bit annoying.  I understand the versatility of having the circular cutout, but it's just inconvenient at times.

Do folks here recommend replacing it?  If so, with what?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: New Guy Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
What don't you like about it? The regular hinged grates have to be removed in order to use the gas assist and are noticably thinner. Craycort cast iron is also an option but the number of pieces, weight, and small 1/4 openings also annoy some people.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
Sounds like you have the gourmet grate system. 

You can pick up a standard or flip-up grate if you like those better.  But I would keep the one you have for future use.

NomadicLogic

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »
Sounds like you have the gourmet grate system. 

You can pick up a standard or flip-up grate if you like those better.  But I would keep the one you have for future use.

That's exactly what I have.  http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/gourmet-bbq-system/1390

I'd like to just be able to remove it and set it aside vertically when starting, but the center cut out always falls out, and it's just a nuisance.

Trust me, I'd keep it around.  I plan on purchasing some accessories for it (the wok, for example) in the future.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »
I get what you're saying. Grab a hinged grate and set that one aside. You'll love the hinged one.
Still need a 22” yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
Hog clip it together?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 11:04:19 AM »
SS hog rings & crimping pliers can be had reasonable $$ @ hardware store
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »
I find it annoying too, but for some reason use it more than the plain hinged grate. I don't know why, I curse it every time I use it, unless I'm using the stupid sear grate insert.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 07:04:58 PM »
Welcome to the WKC NomadicLogic.
I have to bag all bbq ash before putting them in the garbage so always keep
extra plastic tee shirt style bags in the bin, just lay one on the end of the table
and set the grate on the edge of the bowl and the bag while starting the coals.
But a piece of scrap 1x2x12 would work as well or a couple small chunks of
smoke wood might do it.. just a thought..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »
I got a couple of season end whiskey barrels from local hardware shop.  Disassembled them and (1) kept the 2 best stays for setting my hot kettle lids on, while (2) I chopped sawed the rest of the stays for whiskey soaked oak smoke wood.   Worked pretty good (Yum) so far :)       SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »
Just buy a regular hinged grate for everyday use and use the gourmet grate for only those times when you need it. I have six separate and distinct cooking grates for my Performer, each does a different thing and serves a different purpose.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"